• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OPS fitting

chi2

Reaction score
I apologize in advance- I know that there are a million OPS threads on this and other 6.5TD websites; however, I looked through as many as I could find, and I'm still not sure I have the info I need.

When I was installing a new OPS, I noticed that the fitting the OPS screws into, which looks like a brass fitting with a 90 degree angle that screws into the engine, was weeping oil. I wondered if this was something others have just ignored, or if this is something that needs to be fixed. By "weeping" I mean that there is ring of oil around where this fitting attaches to the engine, and it is about as thick as a bead of caulk.

If I need to fix it, is it as simple as unscrewing the fitting from the block and adding some type of seal to its threads?

Jon

You may want to just check it and reseal it if it is still good. There is a chance that it may be corroded, in which case you may have to change it.

My suggestion is to use something more for high temp and can withstand oil. I am not sure if teflon tape is good enough. May want to get Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant. Just to be on the safe side.

Chi, BOTH my vehicles has no such 90 degree fitting. They just screwed directly into the head. Can you post a photo?

Rob :)

Mine has it like that. It looks like a T sticking out of the engine block. It is located right below the GP controller near the firewall.

OPS connector

Here is the best shot I could grab tonight. The OPS connector is brass and is in the center of the picture. Sorry about the shoelace- don't ask why it is in there :p

If anyone has tips for removal, please let me know. I'll just go right in on it Friday, and post my update afterward.

Jon

Attachments

• ops connector.jpg
    ops connector.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back