• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ops and IP questions 1993 k3500

ive never heard of the mechanical pump not working from heat. the 94 and newer truck pump drivers dont like heat.there is no reason why heat sould cause you pump not to operate. If you do not have good fuel pressure it will cause your pump to over heat. but that should not cause it not to start. thats just bad for your ip.

could be a possibility , Don't think I'm gonna really know for sure till I get a fuel pressure regulator on it and know for sure the lift pump is good cause I have a hard initial starting issue as well

well , from what I'm told by more than a few on here , the head and rotor were bad since the day the pump was produced and with the head having a little warpage to it from over heating the pump is getting excessive pressure bleed-off. When the IP heat soaks after running , it thins the fuel out thats sitting in the pump itself and with the IP already bleeding off pressure , doesn't have the pop pressure to overcome the injectors.

Understand too I just bought the truck , and it had a bad ops sensor when I bought it , so no telling how long the IP has been pulling double duty. No doubt it got the IP hot

I have , I found a rebuilt one for $400 and its gonna cost me another $450 to have a local shop install it. Business has sucked this year and I barely broke even so money is tight or I'd have replaced it already

yeah , if thats not bad enough , drove my daughter home tonight and gurgling from the radiator overflow when I shut the truck off. Fired the truck back up and pulled the oil dipstick to find a thin flow of white smoke coming out. Think I got a blown head gasket to deal with now as well.

Back