• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinion on this article.

He's a Mopar guy (the author). Obviously biased. Some of the data I buy. Some I don't. We have had the oil filter review exercise in the past and it contained a ton of data. Some appears to be corraborated here. If he tells us that AC Delco filters are junk then he's discredited all of the rest of the data because GM isn't stupid enough to allow a poor quality oil filter to leave their factory on a vehicle covered under a 100k mile drivetrain warranty.

It also says ac delco duraguard. the last ac delco filter i used just said ac delco. So maybe there are different ones?

They should all meet the same spec though. I haven't cut any open and don't know but my gut feel is I did not like the spot welded filters I saw on the shelf once (a couple different names on boxes at Advance and Zone stores). And I look at each filter I buy to see if they change design.

I don't keep much faith in any of the automakers to pick the best filter design but OEM spec parts should be adequate for a long engine life with proper maintenace interval.

The difference in adequate vs better/best I don't know if it matters more than a warm and fuzzy feeling unless you are going for really long life cycle 400K + miles or extended drain intervals ????

My attention span is kind of short.All I got out of that is 4or5 company's make all the oil filters.
And some guy is putting up stuff that he heard somewhere.

Just stay away from Honeywell/Fram designed filters. They manufacture everything from some ACDelco filters to Honda filters. Honda had numerous companies producing oil filters for them, which I found was very odd but you just had to be careful when purchasing.

Just take a close look at the case and look for the manufacturer. I always do now, knowing that you might find a crappy filter in amongst good ones in the same store.

I cut every filter open after it has been used. The AC Delco filters that I cut open were very solidly put together with good components inside. The cans were nice and thick, and I have no problem using them. I also like Baldwin filters, as they are put together very well too! As I am sure several others are good. I think we all know which filters to stay away from.

Ive always had good luck with wix, napa gold, and baldwin. I heard they were all made by Dana so that would explain why they all seem to filter the same. I use Acdelco on my fuel filter instead of wix crap plastic. Never been a big follower of the theory that only OEM branded filters belong on the truck, i just think that is a way for GM to make alittle extra cash with the advertisement

That is just big business at its best! It makes sense. BUT, there are other options out there for all of us. ;) Better than OEM! :D

Back