• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

one lifter making noise

Thanks for the responses!

I could not find the 'peeing' unit - I even looked in the AC/Delco's that I removed from the engine... it must have been on one I did not record - I usually give a pump or two to fill up with fuel but don't record that part.

I noticed none of the AC units chattered, will that affect mileage? They ran fine but if cool they would puff some smoke the first start in the morning. 10 mpg is the pitts should get 16.

I changed my test setup some, we should be able to see a little better. I did notice the radio comes in loud when played from a web page.... and I have to turn it down on every video. I should have turned it off instead of lowering the volume. Drat.

So - What do you think the chances are that these will work like the originals?

Here is an update.

I installed the New Bosch injectors and started the engine (6.5 TD) and it fussed a little at first then settled down to perfect running! I videoed the startup and the video is linked below.

It was running fine so I shut the camera off. Right after that I got 3 or 5 injector knock sounds and it started missing and some smoke.... I took video of that on the second link. But I missed the knock due to shutting off the camera - I thought it was done! & running fine. Ready to put together even......

I waited about an hour and tried it again, still has the miss and some smoke (not as much but if looking closely it is still there). It is the third link.

The injectors installed without return lines connected.

So I thought (tomorrow) I would loosen each injector line nut to find the misbehaving cyl. You may have a better idea - if so kindly let me know!

How long did you run it with the new injectors? might possibly have a slight amount of air trapped it's trying to work out. install the clear return line on the IP so you can see if there is any air getting into the IP.

I ran it some more it had about 2 min. on it yesterday. Its up to about 5 in todays video - the smoke at idle seems to be gone. There is a funny noise when my wife gives it fuel to increase rpm. That is the camera's fault, actually it revs up smooth with no extra noise according to my ear. But when accelerated fast it does smoke some then quits when the requested rpm is reached. (the engine is cold ambient is about 70 deg.) Before the original inj. had the wear on them you could not make it smoke no matter what you did... Is this normal?

The knock only happened while the camera was off! It only happened the one time, I think the air pocket is likely...
The timing was set at about 70K miles. My scan tool went up in smoke when the house burned. I think my IP is controlled electrically it has a green tag if that helps.

The inj. I pulled all had some soot on them - one of them had the pintle point completely covered but not real deep in soot. The rest just had a coating of soot.

If this all seems normal I will put it together and see how the mileage works.

Again the extra scrambled bang noise is not the engine, somehow the camera inserted that sound!

Thanks, Larry

Ha, I guess I should have thought of that!;-). And the sensors on the intake are not reading anything correct as well!

I will be assembling the rest of the intake and stuff tomorrow - we will see if the MPG improves any!
Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions!

I will let you know the results!

Back