• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

one issue after another!!!, now rattling?!??!

OKAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY...

so.. you guys want to add another one to the list of weird sh*t happening to the 6.5?

well.. after couple hours of diagnosing this morning to find my rattle, and cure it, having a NIB balancer on hand, NIB flex plate, NIB rod bearings, oil pan gasket,various other parts, it turns out...

you ready for this one??!?!??!?!!?!

TRANS WAS SEPERATED FROM ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!

the diesel vibration and spinning convertor was causing the entire trans to wobble left to right, and cross wobble side to top, and side to bottom.. ALL THE BOLTS NEEDED EFFORT TO REMOVE, so im assuming they stretced over time..

hence why i couldnt pinpoint the rattle

so after checking convertor and flex plate alignment and secureness, couple hours removing bolts, matching them to grade 8, applying blue locktite and retightening, no more rattling...

so...

off i go to where i left off before all this happened, to look for injectors , which are worse now due to my WIF issue recently, and exhaust system..

thanks you guys.. for dedicating time to help me out on this one..

Nice to have a guy find the issue and report back....good luck with the injectors....if you want some decent tips fire me a PM....I'll get you to have those things swapped in in no time...

Glad to hear that the mystery is solved. Hope you can continue improving the truck, keep us updated!!!

Yep Great news. And to remind you, myself, and everyone else, It still beats that new truck payment hounding you everymonth, compounded by an Exise tax bill for another G.

My Bad, I should have included in my Flex Plate description that the reason the flex plate broke was because the tranny bolts were missing/broke/and loose... Damn PO!

I am very glad you found the issue before permanent damage was done. Keep an eye on that flex plate though since it has probably been stressed from the off axis movement.

My Bad, I should have included in my Flex Plate description that the reason the flex plate broke was because the tranny bolts were missing/broke/and loose... Damn PO!

I am very glad you found the issue before permanent damage was done. Keep an eye on that flex plate though since it has probably been stressed from the off axis movement.

yah, i took a look up there using a borescope for one, slowly turning the flex to see its circumferance, took my time on that part.. but it checked out ok,, but you never know..

so after checking convertor and flex plate alignment and secureness, couple hours removing bolts, matching them to grade 8, applying blue locktite and retightening, no more rattling...

I looked all over town for grade 8 type metric bolts when I was trying to mount the engine on the stand (metric grade 8 bolts are called 10.5 or some such weirdness). I never could find any, so I used grade 5 (8.9). 3/8 SAE will thread in without doing too much damage. My engine builder had my engine mounted to his stand with 3/8 bolts when I went to pick it up, :mad2: but the metrics went right in afterward without too much fuss.

The extra grip from the threads not being quite the same might keep them from backing out again. I think I'll put some medium Loctite on mine if I ever get the thing back in the truck.

I looked all over town for grade 8 type metric bolts when I was trying to mount the engine on the stand (metric grade 8 bolts are called 10.5 or some such weirdness). I never could find any, so I used grade 5 (8.9). 3/8 SAE will thread in without doing too much damage. My engine builder had my engine mounted to his stand with 3/8 bolts when I went to pick it up, :mad2: but the metrics went right in afterward without too much fuss.

The extra grip from the threads not being quite the same might keep them from backing out again. I think I'll put some medium Loctite on mine if I ever get the thing back in the truck.

i just called the local privately owned AP and told them the sizes i needed in grade 8, and yes.. they are actually 10.5 hardness due to the metalurgy of the metal when its that thick, or something like that.. who cares.. lol, :thumbsup: but the poor guys there took about 3 hours to find them, which is the time i used to check the flex and convertor, im just glad my internals are good

Back