• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Old turbo H1C

blumpkin

idi expert
Reaction score
My 99 suburban is strictly a people mover grocery getter, but it does run a lot of hiway speeds 70+ mph.
I have an opportunity to put on an 18 cm H1C,.
I have 3:73's 265/75/16's
and straight exhaust.
Would this be a worthwhile swap? I'm concerned that with stock fueling it will be be slow to get rolling.
Does anybody here have an H1C installed?
Thanks.

That big will be really boggy off the line, not pleasant to drive around town in stop and go traffic and will smoke like a steam engine until it gets up on boost. But, on the highway at 70 and up will run much better and breathe easier than with the GM-x and you should get better hiway fuel mileage, too.

Haha, no. Just incase he wants to try it, tryin to make a better functional set up for him. And getting it used with a bit of mileage is gonna be way cheaper than getting a new one. Classic win win scenario there for both of them. Using a big turbo with it obviously worked better than running with a stock one.

If it could work with my hummer I would have bought it from him myself but I need the low rpm for some of the off-roading. Hummers can’t be driven off road like a pickup or jeep. Doing high rpm at low speed spins wheels, and in a pickup thats fine. But hummers break halfshafts that way, especially when running Torsen differentials like I have.

You sometimes forget that I've done some serious off (and on) roading with Humvees in the Army, Will. Then there's the shit that I did with M113 APCs, Bradleys and of course my tanks. I know, wheeled vehicles don't compare to tracked vehicles for off-road capability, but we had some interesting things break that weren't supposed to and did some things that they supposedly weren't capable of doing.

You sometimes forget that I've done some serious off (and on) roading with Humvees in the Army, Will. Then there's the shit that I did with M113 APCs, Bradleys and of course my tanks. I know, wheeled vehicles don't compare to tracked vehicles for off-road capability, but we had some interesting things break that weren't supposed to and did some things that they supposedly weren't capable of doing.
YEP, AMEN TO THAT...

Is it a twin scroll turbo? What about using that quick boost thingy WW used?
A QSV- Quick Spool Valve. They get rather spendy, $500 for cheaper ones and $1000 for ones you don’t worry about the shaft breaking or loosing butterfly mount screws into the turbo. And he said he had better results from the high stall TC.

@Husker6.5 yeah, there’s quite a few things they can’t do that they have done. Unfortunately as you know they also break doing things they are supposed to withstand doing- haha. Yeah, get one of these 165lbs tires spinning free and tap the break pedal then have to swap the halfshaft in 110+ weather with sand blowing in your face and ya don’t forget the lesson too soon. Haha
I get the feeling there is some good stories to be told from you on a trip or two.

Too bad you ds4 guys cant just play the max fuel game and tune out most the smoke with an aneroid.

I have an ancient thread here that documented the complete build of my 94 plow truck. Installed an H1C unit on this (not sure what CM it was or if they are all the same?) and I felt it was a great setup for the cost I had into it. Not sure how it would perform on a stock tune as I had a Budde chip with it but I was not disappointed with it. Yes there are better options, but I basically paid $50 for mine so it was a no brainer.

Back