• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OK, She's right, but...

JiFaire

Lieutenant
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
We went to my wife's grandpa's funeral this afternoon. Wonderful man, died peacefully at 98... it was a great celebration of a life spent in service to others.

On the way home, my son was riding in front with me, wife, daughter, and grand-daughter were in the back; after stopping at a light, we turned onto the on-ramp for the highway and 3 teens (with their hats on sideways - Gawd that looks dumb) in a freakin' F150 decide they're going to race me for the narrow part. I wasn't in the mood or something, so I pulled it down and stomped it.

The old girl goes pretty good when you let it wind-out a bit before lifting the shifter... the punks in the Ferd ate smoke all the way to the 2-lanes-into-one-lane part, then got to watch the widening gap the rest of the way up the ramp. Once we merged in, I lifted it into OD at about 130kmh and set the cruise... they passed about 30 s later and gave me the bird, but I was grinning too much to care. Didn't even hear my wife sternly telling me to 'smarten up' all the way up the ramp :D

My son said 'Awright, Dad!', my daughter said 'Kids and their toys', and my wife called me a 'smart-ass' and said I was too old for shit like that. Baby slept through it all.

Wife was probably right, but I'm still grinning. Knowing Grandpa, he was grinning, too.

Jim, sorry for your loss, nice age though. Like mother like daughter?:D
Leo​

Sounds like something i would do. And i know were i get it from my dad was the same way back in the early 80's dad and a camaro got in a race. Now here's the kicker dad had a 12 foot truck camper and a four horse trailer full and still beat the camaro. God i miss that old truck.and Dad as hey passed away a year ago this past Christmas. But i sure remember that s@*t eating grin he had when the camaro pulled in to the gas station and cuoldn't beleive he had four horses in the trailer.:thumbsup::driving:

Thanks Leo, but really, nobody was sad today... what can you say about a guy who got to see a century, had a wonderful family, and loved meeting everybody and making new friends right up until his last day?

As far as Mom and Daughter, yeah... don't say that to the Son-in-Law, though... he still thinks he has a chance!

Yeah, 80s V6 camaros were sad, 2.8L V6 worst engines ever, or even a ridiculous 2.5L I4 in a sports car, and a not too light one either.

And these half tons with V6s are pretty lowsy too, and they only get like 1mpg better too.

Just read this Jim due to the time zone, condolences to you and your family

Got my ears burnt off to many times, & being asked how old I am. I never comment...once bitten twice shy..

/Paul

Well done Jim, I'm glad your family had a good day.

On a side note, I firmly believe a hat should only be worn in one of two ways, straight back or straight forward. Otherwise you look like a...hmm, this isn't P&R...you look like a presidential candidate.

Bwahahaha....

I love making people work hard to pass me....not too many folks are successful....

Last guy that tried that was in an F150 Lightning.....it took him about a mile to edge past me once I hit my speed limiter....

Dad used to say, "No matter how nice of a car you drive, there's always some guy in a pickup with bald tires that can beat you."

Yup-I know the feeling. My grand dad went out at 97 and although I felt bad, I realized he had a hell of a life. I still have his old diary with the first entry dated January 1, 1905. I read it every now and then and try to imagine the day he was having. I guess in a way it brings him back. My condolences to you and your family.

Yup-I know the feeling. My grand dad went out at 97 and although I felt bad, I realized he had a hell of a life. I still have his old diary with the first entry dated January 1, 1905. I read it every now and then and try to imagine the day he was having. I guess in a way it brings him back. My condolences to you and your family.

Now that would be a keep sake, life was a little different then, than it is now.
Leo​

98 is a celebration for him, and a sad day for the rest of us. I am sorry for your loss, however he is probably grinning ear to ear because of your little incident with the Ford.

Celebrate him, that is an honor to know someone that has lived that much life and shared it with others.

Sorry for your familys loss Jim. Granted at 98 I agree that a celebration of life is in order! Especially since it sounds like he was fully functional all the way to the end... A lot can be said for that with anyone aging. Cheers!

... Granted the Ford guy should take the beating like a man and not give you the bird!

Back