• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OK, no bullshit...transfercase fluid you have used

2006 LBZ - Currently have approximately 43,000 miles on the clock.

I changed the T-Case fluid at 4,322 and at 38,492 miles. Both times I used Mobil 1 Dexron-III Synthetic, purchased from Wal*Mart. The last time, I over-filled the transfercase by ONE quart through the speed sensor hole, as recommended by Mike L, but I did NOT use engine oil like some people advocate.

I have never had any transfercase problems.

imo you should use....sorry had to say it dicky. i use mobile 1 5-30 in my 04. it is alot quieter and i havent had a single issue plowing. 2 winters now.

MikeL is also the one that advocates the use of motor oil in t-case.

2006 LBZ - Currently have approximately 43,000 miles on the clock.

I changed the T-Case fluid at 4,322 and at 38,492 miles. Both times I used Mobil 1 Dexron-III Synthetic, purchased from Wal*Mart. The last time, I over-filled the transfercase by ONE quart through the speed sensor hole, as recommended by Mike L, but I did NOT use engine oil like some people advocate.

I have never had any transfercase problems.

MikeL is also the one that advocates the use of motor oil in t-case.
Yes, I know.

One of the main reason they gave for advocating the use of engine oil was because they feel that ATF has been evaporating from the transfer case due to excessive heat from heavy towing in hot weather.

The oil level in my transfer has never dropped, so evidently, my truck is not experiencing that problem. So I figured that since I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic, I should be better protected than if I were to use dino DEX III ATF. However, to be on the safe side, I DID over fill it by 1 quart. :smile5:

I use Amsoil products throughout, and 5w30 in the transfer case. I switched to motor oil in the TC about 30K miles ago, 140K on the truck now.

Back