• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Wars

dtibbals

Official Gun Nut
Reaction score
What is the best oil for your diesel?

Is it:
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Rotella
Royal Purple
Valvoline
Schaeffer
Delo 400 LE
There maybe others I am missing, feel free to add them to the list.

So many of you are brand loyal and will only run one brand of oil so which one do you use and WHY?

What oil filter do you use?

How often do you change your oil filter and oil?

Let the oil wars begin!

I've always used Mobil 1 oil. In my '05 I used Mobil Delvac 1300, but in my '06 now I plan on using Mobil Delvac 1, a synthetic. On my trucks I have always used AC Delco filters. Used Mobil 1 filters on the wife's Envoy for the first few oil changes but just don't think they did all that much better for how much I was paying for them, so that car has gone back to AC Delco filters as well. Mobil 1 5w-30 in that car.

I am brand loyal to Mobil 1, and have been since 2005. Used Quaker State Q Power in my '04 6.0L gasser when I first bought it but made the switch to Mobil 1 after the second oil change. Have used Mobil 1 in everything I have owned since.

I change the oil in my diesel trucks around 10k miles, and in the wifes car, around 4k miles.

Mobil 1 Delvac 1300 here. Always have used it, never had any problems. I use M1 0/30 in the Tahoe and Jeeps... 15/40 in the truck. 10k oil changes for all of them, AC delco filters, whatever I can find on the Jeeps.

I was a Mobil1 guy for years, I switched to Amsoil after my buddy told me about them and I did some surfing and liked what I found. I think any oil is good if you change it out when it needs it.

I'm a Schaeffers fan. I like the moly in the oil. I think it is beneficial. Plus my motor sounds quieter with it vs Rotella T (which I converted from). Plus, I can get Schaeffer oil fairly easily too, so that helps.

Rotella every 5K. i'm thinking of switching to changing every 4k because my oil gets significantly darker in the last 800-1000 miles before the change. i'll proly pull an oil anaylsis this next change to give me a good idea of when it should be changed.

filters... wix from either NAPA or fleetfilter.com

Either Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 and wix (NAPA) oil filter. I change it on 5,000 mile intervals and prefer the Delvac when available. Seems to have worked good for almost 50k now, so I see no reason to switch to anything different.

I have used Rotella, Amsoil, and currently running Schaeffer Supreme 9000. Could not get the supposed 15,000 mile change interval from Amsoil (verified by UOA from Blackstone). I guess at this time I prefer Scaheffer. I do use the Amsoil Eao filter.

Amsoil.......I would never use a moly product myself.

As for Dino Delvac is by far the best Dino on the market.

Rotella T oil - because of the reputation it has among the truckers, farmers, and diesel enthusiasts I know. Also is what the previous owner ran in it.
ACDelco filters - because I like to keep my truck all GM
Changed every 5,000, or a little more depending on driving conditions.

Amsoil for sure, but I really like the Rotella song "You get further down the road with Shell Rotella, even though Rotella T don't rhyme that well..."

I use Valvoline blue in my duramax. I dont remember why I was at the parts stores searching oil and after reading that and the info on the internet I went with it! Also a friend of mine's dad works for a cummins on the road repair. He said all he uses is Valvoline.

Oil change with Valvoline Blue every 5,000
Fuel filter every 10,000
Allison spin on every 10,000

I have used Delo 400, Rotella T Syn, and Mobil Delvac. They are all good oils, and it is more of a convience factor as to what oil I use. The Delo 400 does seem to perform better in my opinion! I now have a bypass oil filter, and I plan on changing the oil once a year. Also have a pre-oem 2 micron spin-on fuel filter, that is also changed once per year along with the OEM filter. Allison spin-on at the same time. I probably only drive around 10-12K per year. Oh yeah, I have a coolant filter too! Everyone has to have a coolant filter ! ;)

Back