• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil temp question

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a question about oil temps, post turbo. Oil return line, specifically. I have a leaking oil return line on my C-13 and the dealer wants $60 for a new line. Well I'm basically too cheap to spend that kind of $, so I'm wondering if I cut out the bad section of steel line (about 3/4" dia) and sleeve it with rubber hose and 4 hose clamps, do you you all think the hose would hold up to the heat of the oil? Or would the temps from the turbo and exhaust pipe cause a melt-down of the rubber itself. I'm getting mixed thoughts at work about this, so I thought I'd pick your brains a little.

I know, I know. A C-13 isn't a 6.5, but 6.5 X2 = 13 :hihi:

Thanks in advance if you guys could help me out. And if not, thanks anyways.

A rated hose should resist the oil and temps, but I would NEVER risk losing all my oil over 60 bux. Thats cheap money.

I'm using heater hose on mine so far 3 years since installed it's holding up, that is a gravity drain not pressurized so risk is minimal of failure without warning, IIRC Slim Shady has a oil/heat compatible hose that he supplies with his ATT kits PM him and see if he has some extra.

If the rotten spot is near the manifold, it's steel so it can be weld or braze patched, also junk yard should have a line as well, or fab new from tubing

X2 on the non-pressurized drain. I just need to 'get by' till work picks up a little. Then I can do it the right way!

Thanks again!!

If it is close to the exhaust it will need heat shielding. Gravity drain or not I suggest fixing it right with tubing, not rubber. First time you get a heavy load and get the exhaust hot... That is when the forgotten fix may give out and introduce oil to the hot exhaust.

It is all I could do to keep high temp oil from ruining the oil cooler lines on my Duramax and they did not go by the exhaust. Adding radiant heat from the exhaust and hot oil on the inside will melt it.

1" gap on the end of my 6.5 tailpipe is close enough to melt rubber off the spare tire when pulling a grade...

On the C-13, there is at least 8" clearance/distance from exhaust turn down. So I think I should be ok. I'll just have to keep an eye on it

Back