• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil leak in filter area?

orrum

Reaction score
Crawling under truck to install prefilter and Walbro I noticed a oil leak running down the filter. I tightened the valve covers last week so I hope thats not it. Saw where some trucks have a oil filter adapter that leaks and u replace the orings. Do I have a adapter that can leak. I need to change the oil and I could put the orings in if I have that type. Also need to know what orings to get? Is there something else that could be leaking up there? I know the filter itself could be leaking, cant tell what kind it is, no numbers or name, just plain white. I have the Wix 2 qt one to put in. Thanks.

The oil cooler lines are right above the filter. Very good chance the great GM quick couplings or crap lines are leaking.The GM oil cooler lines are a ticking time bomb. If they blow apart, you can't get the engine shut off quick enough to stop big damage . You should have them on the top of your wish list. Leroy sells them.

Thanks but darn BK it just aint safe to browse and read stuff on here, every time I do it happens to my truck!!!! I guess I better research install of those lines on here now. Hope its a easy one I am mechanical challenged. Yes u r right it deserves to go to the top of the list, that will be a lot of aluminum cans too! Thats not a joke my truck money comes from cans, copper and scrap iron! People let me clean their age old stuff up for the scrap. Amazing how much can be piled up behind a old barn!!!

Blast the area clean. Start the engine and shut off. Look for fresh oil.
You have 2WD so you do not have the 90 degree oil filter adapter.

Oddly enough the new GM oil cooler line I got in 2009 have outlived 3 engines. Oddball set though as I have has trouble with them leaking all the time in the past. Leroy does sell a very good kit that I have on my suburban.

Your leak will be a bad oil filter, doubled up oil filter gasket or leak from above. Yes, valve covers will leak down here and they do leak a lot. I recommend RTV for them as the gaskets plain suck.

Even though you have a 2wd I still recommend a check valve in the oil filter. Some 2WD filters do not have this.

Waewagon I hate to sound dumb but I have no Idea how to blast it. I have to crawl under it. If I blast it from above with Gunk engine cleaner and a water hose there is a lot of electrical stuff above that area. Goy a suggestion or directions. I think I should find the leak b4 changing the oil filter? Right? Oh by the way I read on another thread about ur Walbro screen stopping up, somewhere I read u can get a 420 micron screen instead of the 70 micron if that helps u.

So I crawled under the truck with flashlite, rags and spray purple stuff and looked up with the flashlite and there was brake fluid on the bottom of the master cylinder, Crawled back out and popped the top off the master cylinder and it was down some on fluid and the gasket was drawn down into the reservoir and it would not fit right anymore. I figure I need a new gasket and probably a lid. I think the oil running down the oil filter was mostly brake fluid. I checked the fluid when I first got the truck and added a bunch but since then been going by what I could see thru the side.

There is a plug in the oil galley of the block above the oil filter. I have had a few of those leak as well. I took it out , tefloned it and reinstalled.

Back