• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Filters?

Reaction score
Do I stay with my Wix or try a synthetic filter. It's said that the synthetic filters work better and last longer. Any thoughts?

Do I stay with my Wix or try a synthetic filter. It's said that the synthetic filters work better and last longer. Any thoughts?

What kind of maintenance routine are you performing right now? How many miles between changes, what oil are you using, how much time between changes, etc?

Generically Synthetic media filters do work better and last longer, no question.

Ive heard WIX filters were pure trash...

if thats the case then why do you here alot of people on these web sites talking about buying there filters from fleetfilter.com and there filter is a napa gold, and I was told the napa gold is actually a wix and was very respected.

As to the question to what I use now I use rottella 15-40 but just bought the rottella 5-40 full synthetic that I'm switching to. I try to change my oil between 6000 or so some times longer. I feel bad saying this because I use to be one of those 3000 mile die hard oil change guys but as long as I change it before the DIC says to now a days I'm happy(money is tight now)
would love an oil by-pass unit but not in any time soon.

If you are still changing according to the DIC it should not be necessary, a better filter will perform better but a Wix is perfectly serviceable at those mileage ranges.

Wix will do you just fine. . .

I have done this:
if you own a GM use AC-delco filters.
if you own a FORD use Motor craft filters.
if you own a DODGE use Mopar filters.

I have used the Vehicles manufactures filter as they should idealy filter the oil properly for that vehicle.

I have also done this:
Mobile 1 oil Mobile 1 oil filter.
Valvoline oil Valvoline filter.
AMSOIL oil AMSOIL filter.

I have use the same brand filter as the oil as it also should filter the oil in spec as well.

I don't use Supertech filters or frame filters as they are half the price for a reason i'm sure. . .

Mikey

Wix will do you just fine. . .

I have done this:
if you own a GM use AC-delco filters.
if you own a FORD use Motor craft filters.
if you own a DODGE use Mopar filters.

I have used the Vehicles manufactures filter as they should idealy filter the oil properly for that vehicle.

I have also done this:
Mobile 1 oil Mobile 1 oil filter.
Valvoline oil Valvoline filter.
AMSOIL oil AMSOIL filter.

I have use the same brand filter as the oil as it also should filter the oil in spec as well.

I don't use Supertech filters or frame filters as they are half the price for a reason i'm sure. . .

Mikey

I used supertech filters and hd30 oil in my nissan. used fram once and the oil got very black within 1000miles unlike the supertech. I have cut all of the filters I have used open to find fram seems to "fall apart" allowing a lot of debris right through. supertech held up well but is a small filter compared to the wix or amsoil ea that I use which would inhibit its service life.

really ? the Super tech holds up ok ? they just run smaller ?

I may have to give them filters a try as I run AMSOIL but i change my oil filters 3 time per oil change. . .

my first AMSOIL service on a motor i spin a filter every 1K and dump the oil at 3k. . .after that i run 3k on a filter and 9k on the oil . . .

This new info Might just save me some cash as them Supertech filters are much cheaper to replace. . .:thumbsup:

Mikey

Fram is garbage. Most of the other brand names are good including Wix/Napa Gold, AC Delco, Mobile 1, Baldwin, Amsoil.

really ? the Super tech holds up ok ? they just run smaller ?

I may have to give them filters a try as I run AMSOIL but i change my oil filters 3 time per oil change. . .

my first AMSOIL service on a motor i spin a filter every 1K and dump the oil at 3k. . .after that i run 3k on a filter and 9k on the oil . . .

This new info Might just save me some cash as them Supertech filters are much cheaper to replace. . .:thumbsup:

Mikey

just dont use fram, its the only filter media i have seen fall apart. the supertech filter and even the oil hold up pretty well. given amsoil is the best hands down for oil or filters. I was really surprised with the quality of the supertech over fram.

Fram is total garbage. Some friends cut one apart, and it's cardboard, almost literally. Wix makes Napa Gold, as evidenced by the fact that they have the same part numbers. I use K&N Oil filters on my SSEi, and Amsoil on the D-max, as it has Amsoil Engine oil in it.

I use a WIX oil filter... from what I've seen, the can is very heavy and it has a silicone anti-drainback valve. The media is bonded to metal end caps, an actual spring holds the element in place versus the media being hot glued to cardboard ends and the element being held in place with a piece of stamped steel in the Fram junk.

I used to use AC Delco filter for all my cars and trucks, but have switched to Wix/NAPA Gold filters for about the last year or so as I have been able to get them for about half of what I was paying for the ACD's and I think I am putting a better filter on now. Anywhere I have seen oil filters being discussed, Fram always comes up as the worse of the worse. A few of my first oil changes I ever did I used a Purolater filter, but never a Fram.

Back