• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Filter Relocation

Russ Gee

Reaction score
I would like to relocate the oil filter on my 96-6.5. I can't find one that says it will work on the 6.5 diesel. I've heard rumors that it is a case of cya on the part of the manufactures. There are a lot of people who have done this, so some of them must work. Anybody, who have done this, have a kit they would recommend?
Thanks, Russ.

I did not use a kit just bought pieces. Some concern about size of hoses 3/8 is IMO small for 15W-40 oil. Use 1/2" id or bigger hose then mount it close. Build what you want. Also use hose rated for high temperature as the oil will get quite hot towing.

If you want to remove the 4x4 filter adapter I recommend the index able filter base adapter canton racing products sells. BUT IIRC I had to sand a bit of the OD on the canton adapter as it just interfered with some of my block casting where they machined the filter base. Might depend on your block?? The CRP adapter is not like some other filter base adapters that tighten like a pipe fitting and have to live with tight orientation. Also when taking off 4x4 adapter have take out filter nipple from 4x4 adapter to screw into engine block. If you leave the 4x4 filter base adapter on it might not matter which adapter to use depending on how you run hoses and to where.

I used a permacool dual filter head. Its not extra micron bypass filtering just puts 2 filters in parallel.

I've got a brand new never installed Amsoil dual filter bypass setup setting on the shelf. Bought it and never used. I'll let you have it for 75% of retail. I'll have to contact Amsoil to check cost, been too many years since purchase.

I used the Amsoil dual bypass on my 95 K1500 for 200k miles and my hired hand is still driving it with 20K change intervals.

I mounted my filter under the bed, it was the safest place I could find and space was tight on my ex cab short bed. There might be a location under the hood but I got the biggest filters they offered for longer intervals and couldn't fit them many places.

I used the Amsoil dual bypass on my 95 K1500 for 200k miles and my hired hand is still driving it with 20K change intervals.

I mounted my filter under the bed, it was the safest place I could find and space was tight on my ex cab short bed. There might be a location under the hood but I got the biggest filters they offered for longer intervals and couldn't fit them many places.

Ran mine like your's too.

On my Cummins 12 valve conversion I'm thinking the stock oil filter w/centrifuge, it's low mileage diesel and the oil stays fairly clean between changes right now.

I used a permacool dual filter head. Its not extra micron bypass filtering just puts 2 filters in parallel>>>>Schiker

I used the dual permacool as well

Back