• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter cap mine is loose. Fix or get a new one ?

schiker

Reaction score
So I popped the hood today and oil filler cap was off and laying down in behind the thermostat crossover. I think it vibrated loose. I usually leave on the radiator cover so I don't think I left it off last time I added oil. Anyone ever had one come off?

Is there a "Help Section" gasket that with provide more sticktion grip for the cap? Seems the OE gasket has hardened and its not much resistance to take off. Or get a new cap?

Looks like LMC has some that look fairly OE but I don't think they put the original writing on it API spec. It'll cost about as much or more to ship as to buy :-( . And I am not sure its a true spec and will be tight. I will look around for options but in the mean time....

I took a closer look and I guess the Belleville like spring/washer has lost its springyness so I cut a spacer from an oil bottle and put under the rubber gasket. Thought about putting a rubber band above the Belleville spring but worried it might discentigrate sp? with heat???? Chickened out bending ears.

Attachments

• 710 cap.jpg
    710 cap.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • plastic washer.jpg
    plastic washer.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • under-cap.jpg
    under-cap.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2
Bend the little metal retainer that's on top of the rubber gasket. That's what holds the spring tension on the cap. Press down on it a bit to bend it downwards and your cap will seal like new again.

Back