• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil coolers and lines, changes over the years, guidance please.

The new hoses just came in the USPS. :thumbsup: That was quick. Thanks Big T. Typically the box was mangled but the hose was ok.

One observation. The hose part sure is squishy (technical term :)) compared to the AN hose I have handled and the hydraulic hose in my buddy's back hoe. Definitely not 1700 PSI stuff :) Its as soft as 5/8 heater hose, I was shocked. Maybe they are made with aramid fiber, I hope.

Also this friend with the back hoe says I can take my leaky hoses to the shop where he has his hoses done and they will rebuild them, quick, cheap and with better hose. They will peel the crimp ferrules off the hard ends and crimp on better hose with new ferrules.

The new hoses just came in the USPS. :thumbsup: That was quick. Thanks Big T. Typically the box was mangled but the hose was ok.

One observation. The hose part sure is squishy (technical term :)) compared to the AN hose I have handled and the hydraulic hose in my buddy's back hoe. Definitely not 1700 PSI stuff :) Its as soft as 5/8 heater hose, I was shocked. Maybe they are made with aramid fiber, I hope.

Also this friend with the back hoe says I can take my leaky hoses to the shop where he has his hoses done and they will rebuild them, quick, cheap and with better hose. They will peel the crimp ferrules off the hard ends and crimp on better hose with new ferrules.

Problem is the aluminium hard lines on stock stuff. If they were steel there would not be a problem with them

.... GM had enough trouble with them so they eliminated the lines and built the cooler/heat exchanger on the engine.
So did Navastar and Cummins as I am sure you are aware.
I have a couple of 454 Chevy Mercruiser Bluewater engines in the shop that have a mile of raw water, engine coolant, engine oil cooler, and transmission oil cooler lines. All the potential failure points in those systems are scary. Plus they are under the deck where a potential failure is not easily noticed.

For the archives.;)
0109132043_2_1280x960.jpg
Left to right. Large 1/2 NPT snap coupler, smaller 3/8 NPT snap coupler, for reference an older inverted flare 3/8" adapter as seen on 6.2's with in radiator oil coolers, there were two versions of this one too, different on the flair side.

0111131651_3_1280x960.jpg

0111131651a_4_1280x960.jpg

0111131656_8_720x960.jpg
Three shots of the oil coolers. The later one for the 5/8 lines is on the left in the top photo. Note the big difference in the connector size, same Rochester(?) style captive nut O ring though.
0111131652_5_1280x960.jpg

0111131653a_6_720x960.jpg

0111131654a_7_720x960.jpg
The cooler lines 1/2 and 5/8 together for comparison. Close ups of the connector ends. These 1/2'" lines are the last design that takes the direct path to the cooler, same as the later 5/8 lines do.

0112131904_9_720x960.jpg
Looking up into the oil filter area where the lines connect into the snap couplers. This is a 4WD and the right angle adapter is off for better access. There is no extra space here at all which makes screwing in the adapters and locking in the lines a major time consuming pain. There was cussing and throwing of things required.:eek:

0112132011_1_1280x960.jpg
The original plastic line clips that go on this bracket at the engine mount were long gone and was for the 1/2" lines anyway. So I tack welded a 1/4-20 bolt in the hole and put two metal loop rubber lined clips on it. It was quite the trick putting it together and bolting to to the motor mount and tightening the 1/4-20 nut up in the hole over the cross member. But now the lines are clamped down where they are supposed to be. :thumbsup:

I have seen posts where that snap couplers get loose after replacement because, as you said, it is not easy to put on.

If not found fast before all the oil drain out, it will take the engine with it.

Back