• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil cooler replacement w/ pics

Thanks again for the wonderful post!! Helped out alot!! (Though the wrench sizes were different for some reason, but i had spare tools around that worked out)

Great write-up and pics.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: The one thing I may add is: When you screw the fittings into the cooler be shure to have the wrench holding the fitting on the cooler squarely on the fitting. If it's not the cooler will kink above the nut on the cooler.:eek::eek: Guess how I know that.:mad2: The getting the fittings on the cooler at the right angle is a one shot deal. If you have to loosen them to get lined up it will leak and the aluminum threads will strip when you try to take the fitting out. PMDcable also offers a kit that is mostly the same. It works just as well.:thumbsup:

when i did the cooler line change the housing that holds the oil filter bolt was 36 mm not 32mm. must be different on older trucks. also when using a screwdriver to turn the 90's at the block iwould suggest to cut of the flat head or philips head so you reduce your chance of damaging the brass

I started mine up without the top bracket attached and pointed it towards the ground as low as I could get it because I thought a giant air bubble would form at the top of the cooler.

Someone else told me stacked plate type coolers do not trap air. Anyone know for sure?

I don't see any reason to drain the crankcase oil unless it is also time for an oil change. Won't make the job any less messy.

I did this this past spring and it was much easier to do after removing the fender well liner and the exhaust manifold and going from the side. It's a lot easier for tool access and you also don't have to disconnect the driveshaft. I'm sure someone had replaced something before so I don't know how much was factory and how much was replacement but they did mount the oil cooler backwards. I had a hard time getting the grill to fit right until I realized that I put the oil cooler on the same way they had it and when I flipped it around, everything fit perfectly. Of course I broke a rusty brake line when I was putting the fender liner back...

Back