• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil cooler lines

After just breaking and by passing my oil cooler I will report the following.

I run Rotella T6, 5/40 synthetic. Normal idle oil pressure at full operating temp and 80F to 90F weather is 35 to 40 psi. 1800 rpm pressure is 60 to 65 psi.

In 40F to 50F weather, after reaching operating temperature: Oil pressure dropped 10 to 15 psi below normal operating pressures while the oil cooler was bypassed. I saw idle pressures just above 20psi and max pressure below 50psi.

I would not run the 6.5 with a bypassed oil cooler any longer absolutely required!

But of course, its your motor and your money.

6.5 Carnage

attachment.php

I found out yesterday that from the original owner that he had by-passed it when he damaged the original cooler lines when he was installing a second block heater, a year after he bought it. He said his wife had a 40k on it, and now it's about to roll over 300k. So I would assume if anything were to happen surely it would've done it by now?

There are 3 big differences here, location location location. If you live in the Great White North oil coolers are no so big a deal. Also if you don't run at high loads and speeds you may not absolutely need a cooler. But the OEM's have to build for high ambient temps max GVW and mountain grades. But my 81 Olds Cutlass 4 door diesel, a light duty application for sure has an oil cooler.

it happened to me. some light duty clamp rattled it's way through under the plastic covering. it took me a day to decide to split a piece of hose and clamp it against the hole. still on there returned the new 85.00 line. find the leak and hope that you can reach it. oh!, to get home I first dumped 5 gal. into the engine. that got me a certain distance before it all leaked out...watch the oil pressure gauge. then at a part store I found a cart with a lot of dirty oil being returned and poured that in. then, i poured in the rest of the spent oil with out spending but on the first 5 gal. lucky huh?

Back