• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Cooler Hose Sizing

bobbiemartin

Author of The DB2 Conversion Guide
Reaction score
I'm swapping a 97 506 block into a 1995 Suburban. The old engine had ½" oil cooler hoses that use 3/8" pipe fitting snap in adapters in the block. The new engine has oil squirters and 1/2" pipe fitting adapters but the actual hole for the oil cooler lines are the same as the 3/8 pipe adapters. Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't the 1/2" pipe adapters have a larger ID? Do the 5/8" oil hoses use the same size aluminum tubes? I see that the aftermarket oil cooler hoses only come in one size for all years, which I'm assuming is 1/2". Why did GM go with larger oil line adapters in the block only to keep the same size ID? I'm wondering if maybe this is a transitional block, perhaps GM was still using 1/2" oil lines and switched to 5/8" on later trucks? Is there any reason to use 5/8" oil hoses on oil squirter blocks? I will probably switch to aftermarket hose and want to get the correct size. Thanks for any help.

Gm made the adapter fittings so the newer engines could be used in older trucks. My 97 has the #8[1/2] lines. I junked a 93 that had a 506 engine with the adapter fittings.
Pitstop usa sells the tru-cool oil cooler that fits the factory mounts[TRUM7B]$65. A hydraulics shop should be able to make hoses and have fittings.

Use 3/8 or 1/2 inch. I had 1/2 lines made up for my last job and they work great, figured they had the large fittings, might as well use them. :thumbsup:

Back