• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Cooler Fail

jmiller

Recruit
Reaction score
Noticed a new oil spot in the driveway yesterday morning, under the front bumper. (unusual location)

After removing the grill, the oil cooler was wet and a pool of oil was in the bolt pocket of the core support.

I started the truck, but saw no real leak. Went to the car wash to clean it up. When I got home, the condenser and core support had oil on them, again.

2011-11-25_18-27-40_504.jpg

I think the vibration from hitting rail road tracks too hard flexed and crack the joint on the oil cooler. The joint between the first and second channels is wet after cleaning it.

When I installed the stainless oil line kit, I did not build a line support for the cooler inlet. It looks like the vibrations flexed it enough to cause a leak.

Just glad it happened near the house on the way home. So, I have bypassed the oil cooler until I get a new one. I'll add a bracket and clamps after installing the new one to support the lines.

Nice catch, John. Was that an OEM cooler, or an aftermarket one? (the one that cracked)

jrsavoie: Thanks for the offer, I should just put a new one on.

Jim:
It was the stock OEM.

With the holiday, I'm attempting to contact Burning oil to purchase one of his. I should have just bought the whole kit to start.

:mad2:

But after this experience, I would recommend line support at the cooler to take those vibrations.

Based on the amount of oil missing vs run time, I'm pretty sure the rail crossing did me in. The truck can bounce enough crossing the tracks to kick it sidewise where you will notice.

If your running aftermarket lines, I would make a support bracket to support the oil cooler connections.
I don't know how many secured the braided line to the stock bracket @ the motor mount? I did, so that might be the difference on mine. I hadn't seen any reports of broken coolers. Manybe the short distance from the front of the motor mount to the oil cooler is too stiff. Allowing the line to flex all the way back may not stress the cooler as much. :confused5:

Does any body know the part numbers for the OEM oil coolers? I was thinking about putting these on Ebay just to get rid of them.

I've already pitched a few of them as I only saw 2 in the shed. One for small lines and one for big lines

...Based on the amount of oil missing vs run time, I'm pretty sure the rail crossing did me in. The truck can bounce enough crossing the tracks to kick it sidewise where you will notice...

Little did you know, someone caught your railroad crossing on tape:

[video=youtube;-xskQfMx1iQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xskQfMx1iQ[/video]

No wonder the cooler broke!

:)

LOL, J/k

The tracks aren't quite that bad. Also, not enough road to hit 85 either. :hihi:

Although the old Toyota hit the grade crossing on Melville street at 45, making big air. (considerig the tracks are mid grill from the street)

Thanks, Leroy. It fits great.

With the bracket, I can move the lines without movement transferring to the cooler itself.

1/8 x 1 x 6 bar, bent the edges to stiffen the bracket. Couple 6mm body bolts & clips, 3/4 clamp, clamps tightly. Used a 7/8 clamp on the left side, its stiffer and handled the twist better

Back