• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Changes

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
I have decided to do something that the military does and alot of fleet owners do. I will change the oil when the lab says it is time. My brother drives a 18 Wheeler and they do oil changes only as needed. Filter changes however are done normally, I think there are 3 types of schedules they use. So Ia m going to apply that to my truck and see if it works. This is the 3rd sample I sent off and the others were normal....do you think I am screwing up by doing this?

To me changing oil is cheep insurance. What oil do you run?

You running Amsoil? I run Vavoline full synthetic in mine and i still change it every 6k. If someone else owned my truck and wanted to prolong the oil changes i wouldnt care but i dont want to take any chances myself.

I have decided to do something that the military does and alot of fleet owners do. I will change the oil when the lab says it is time. My brother drives a 18 Wheeler and they do oil changes only as needed. Filter changes however are done normally, I think there are 3 types of schedules they use. So Ia m going to apply that to my truck and see if it works. This is the 3rd sample I sent off and the others were normal....do you think I am screwing up by doing this?

This is what my dad and I are doing with both of ours. We change the Amsoil EaO52 oil filters on an interval (that escapes me right now:confused:) and when I spin off the old one I grab a sample of the oil that drains from the engine. We are both running AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil.

No, you are not screwing anything up, this is standard industry practice, most private vehicle owners are not interested enough to do this.

You can also greatly extend your oil drains by also using a bypass filter like this one BMK27

Sounds fine to me.

No, you are not screwing anything up, this is standard industry practice, most private vehicle owners are not interested enough to do this.

You can also greatly extend your oil drains by also using a bypass filter like this one BMK27
I have been using the by pass setup for a few years now, Using the EaO26 and EaBP100 in my setup, but I have been having oil leaks at the By-Pass Spin-on Adapter, the 2 O Rings start leaking after about 10k miles, the original ones lasted 120k miles. Is there something you would recommend differently?

Tim:
If you are running a good quality oil, then continue with the UOA's. You can easily go more than the general 7500 mile oil changes. I think the general consensus is around 12-15K (What the DIC says). When the UOA comes back telling you to change the oil, then do so. I plan on changing oil once a year or every 15K for GP. When the time comes, I will send the oil out for an analysis. I do about 15000 miles /year on my truck. I also use the FS2500 bypass oil setup. The FS filter changes are very simple and recommended at 10K intervals. Randy from Filtration Solutions says that you can easily go more than 15K for oil change intervals using regular oil. I will test and see. I will report back when the time comes.

I am using Amsoil and the by-pass filter setup since the truck had 40k miles on it. I am now at 240k and money is tight...so, this could be something to do without harming my truck, and I used to change oil every 10k but I am now at 14k on this batch....will wait until sample results are in

Last edited:
Keep us posted Tim! I would say your safe right now, but just keep a good watch on it. Both the Amsoil and FS2500 are good bypass kits with good solid results.

I have been using the by pass setup for a few years now, Using the EaO26 and EaBP100 in my setup, but I have been having oil leaks at the By-Pass Spin-on Adapter, the 2 O Rings start leaking after about 10k miles, the original ones lasted 120k miles. Is there something you would recommend differently?

Sorry, I didn't see that in your sig. Your filter setup is fine, I don't understand the leaks. Are they Amsoil supplied replacements or from another supplier? PM me, or give me a call if you like, and I'll help any way I can.

Also, which oil are you using? I would recommend AME 15w-40 for your application, you should be able to go more than 25k between drains using the Bypass you have and analysis results.

Ashton

Sorry, I didn't see that in your sig. Your filter setup is fine, I don't understand the leaks. Are they Amsoil supplied replacements or from another supplier? PM me, or give me a call if you like, and I'll help any way I can.

Also, which oil are you using? I would recommend AME 15w-40 for your application, you should be able to go more than 25k between drains using the Bypass you have and analysis results.

Ashton
15W40 HD Amsoil, and everytime I had the O rings replaced they were hard and brittle....need to find something that will prevent this or modify my setup some how

Tim or Ashton- Do you know what size the o-rings are (either in AS568A 2-XXX or metric)? I've got connections with a Parker o-ring and seal distributor and could hook you up with some samples to try. A 75 duro. Vition o-ring should solve your problems. Buna-N is good for intermittent exposure up to 250* and will start to get brittle very quickly under continuous exposure. Viton o-rings don't have the best compression set resistance or elasticity, but will tolerate the oil temps much better than Buna-N which will keep them from becoming brittle and crumbling to bits.

Tim or Ashton- Do you know what size the o-rings are (either in AS568A 2-XXX or metric)? I've got connections with a Parker o-ring and seal distributor and could hook you up with some samples to try. A 75 duro. Vition o-ring should solve your problems. Buna-N is good for intermittent exposure up to 250* and will start to get brittle very quickly under continuous exposure. Viton o-rings don't have the best compression set resistance or elasticity, but will tolerate the oil temps much better than Buna-N which will keep them from becoming brittle and crumbling to bits.
Thanks Grady, Maybe Ashton can come up with that info.....I was actually thinking of replacing it with something different, but if I could get my hands on the proper O rings that would be great

Back