• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil analysis concerns

dmaxlover

Reaction score
Just got my oil analysis back from my pulling truck. The engine was built 2 years ago and has seen about 50 pulls and about 2000 miles at 700hp and above. The silicon is a little above normal, is this something I should be concerned with? Where is the silicon coming from? The pistons?

Attachments

• av4126.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 13
Your engine may be getting a dose of unfiltered air. Check your air cleaner assembly and the rest of the induction system for possible air leaks.

The intake resonator (the black part that sits on top of the engine and says 6.6 Turbo Diesel) has been known to develop cracks. These cracks are after the filter, so the air going through them is not being filtered.

One way to test it is to give it the "Water Test". Take it off and fill it with water and see if there are any leaks.

Just got my oil analysis back from my pulling truck. The engine was built 2 years ago and has seen about 50 pulls and about 2000 miles at 700hp and above. The silicon is a little above normal, is this something I should be concerned with? Where is the silicon coming from? The pistons?

It looks like dirt ingestion (air side). Two things keep your silica levels down, primarily, air filtration, secondarily, oil filtration. What kind of filters are you using? It's important to note that the oil filter can do only so much, air filtration is the big concern here. How long until your next sample/change on your current regimen?

Everything else looks really good, they did not test for TBN (Total Base number) unfortunately. I would not fret, it still looks good to go, for how long however is the worry. I would be reevaluating air/oil filtration choices at this point and considering an oil filter change in the next 6 mos, considering the whipping you put on this truck.

I change my oil only once per year, and the truck is used for pulling only. The oil only has about 20 road miles, and about 20 hooks, or a little over 1 mile at full throttle at over 800 hp.

I run an Amsoil EAO filter, and it is changed every spring with the new oil.

I'm pushing over 50 psi of boost, so could it be that the K&N filter does a poor job at filtering with the cfms that is being sucked through it. The air filter is a 5" outlet, with there regular oiled media.

I'm open to any suggestions on an air filter that does a good job filtering, as well as able to flow enough for my requirements.

If you're interested, give me the K&N part number for the filter element and I can get you info on an Amsoil Dry Nanofiber filter replacement element which should kill this problem pretty easily.

You clean these with a shop vac.

I have nothing listed in my cross charts for 5", I go from 4.5" to 6". I'll do some research and get back to you ASAP, I'll call the Amsoil Engineers tomorrow.

Back