• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

odd noise from oil fill

J.Peart

Reaction score
So a while back i noticed that when i take off the oil fill cap i can hear an intermittent metallic tink, tinking (awesome sound effects huh?).

I'll try to describe it the best I can: the volume varies slightly and though it seems follows the engine noise(rpm), the actual timing of the noise is random, or at least i can't hear it on every revolution.

I don't know if its just the injection pumps gears and its normal or if its something i need to look into. If no one knows i'll see about getting a video later.

thanks,

James

yeah i considered that. I'll probably look into that if no one else has run across this before.

i was hoping it was just gear noise and i had never noticed it before.

Pull the oil fill and look at the bolts for the IP. You can also listen and or rotate the engine back and forth by hand to check play before the gears move.

Sample the oil and cut open the oil filter. It may show bolts hitting.

Otherwise you could be hearing chain slap.

Hearing that kind of noise over the normal 6.5 noise has got to be loud!

i guess it would be pretty loud. i mean i can just hear it over the engine, but only if the oil cap is off.

ill have to investigate more.

i doubt its the timing chain cause i replaced that when i rebuilt the motor 9000km ago. im 99% sure i torqued everything to spec but i suppose a bolt could have worked loose.

hopefully its one of the ip bolts if thats the problem- they are easy to get at.

This noise is common and is from the IP, timing chain and the gears that run the IP.

A loose timing chain allows the setup to wiggle a bit and the constant pulsing of the IP Plungers transfers through to the gear teeth on the pump drive.

It won't hurt at all to slip the oil filler tube out of the cover and check the three bolts that fasten the IP to the gear though.

Pretty normal noise me thinks.

Missy

thanks missy. thats what i hoped, but as i mentioned, i had never noticed it before and wanted to make sure something wasn't going to blow up on me.):h

Ill still pull the tube and take a quick peek just to be safe.

Back