• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Occasional OIL PRESSURE DROP?!??!?!

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Whats going on here.

I'll be driving and it will go down before it goes up sometimes, and sometimes drops down and then recovers.

Other times it remains perfect.

OPS?!??! Grounds???

FWIW I have Leroys extension hose. Perhaps I should do grounds, and or check with manual gauge.

Could any internal condition exist where it would lose it once in a while??
I.E. Internal crack thats about to let go.........????

Fluid Levels seem normal, oil doesn't appear to be contaminated, truck runs fantastic, tons of power. (Well, you know what I mean!) :)

May well be the pressure sending unit is going south.

Put a T in the Turbo oil feed line and hook up a direct reading gauge to check it.

The sending units are notorious for going away.

I would definately either change the sender, or hook up a direct gauge.

Missy

Make sure the extension hose itself is grounding. The OPS threads must be grounded for the sending function to work. You can ask Leroy is the electrical continuity between crimped fitting is by design, or if its incidental when the fitting is cirmped down and they both happen to touch the internal steel braiding. You can try wrapping a ground wire around the fitting or OPS and see if the issue stops. If not the OPS is probably dying.

Make sure the extension hose itself is grounding. The OPS threads must be grounded for the sending function to work. You can ask Leroy is the electrical continuity between crimped fitting is by design, or if its incidental when the fitting is cirmped down and they both happen to touch the internal steel braiding. You can try wrapping a ground wire around the fitting or OPS and see if the issue stops. If not the OPS is probably dying.

X2.
It is by design. I have my shop remove some outer hose to expose the steel braid on both ends for grounding. Like buddy said try using a jumper wire to the threads of the ops.

Thanks guys.

Thats what I figured. At times I can control the drop by pressing the APP giving it fuel... .

Made me realize how much I enjoy my 6.5 and want her to last me another 5 years. Maybe more.

Only way I have seen oil pressure drop is by RPM if anything in the engine has issues.
If the oil has issues, shifting or different power levels including getting the oil hot can cause pressure drops. Issues would be fuel contamination, overheated oil, low viscosity, etc. 'Low oil pressure stop engine' occurred on my Duramax after shifting into drive when it was hot out and I had 2 quarts of fuel in the crankcase.

Hasn't happened in a few days, and when I said I controlled it with the app pedal if I stabbed it it would drop before going up instantly........ hard to explain, but if I did it 10 times fast, it followed each time, that seemed like a ground issue, or something.......

I don't know, seems fine now, so I'm not going to worry about it. More than half the time its not even doing it, making it hard to diagnose so I'll wait till it gets worse or warm.

As always thanks for your inputs.

Back