• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Obs dually d-max/allison swap

john o

Reaction score
well ive already started an figured id share on this site as well.
the truck- 96 gmc k3500cclb 4x4 dually former 6.5td
dually.jpg

the donor- same but an 02 d-max 190k new injectors 20k ago
sic.5 out
084.jpg

my new parts collection
086.jpg

088.jpg

090.jpg

094.jpg

096.jpg

everything out an ready for some test fitting
005.jpg

i ported my intake horn while the motor was on the stand
016-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

my motor mount base plate idea. i traced the stock mounts an cut them outta 3/8" mild steel plate an i was goin to weld my old 6.5 clam shell mounts to the bases an beef them up. cut an drilled checkin for fitment
011.jpg

012.jpg

after they were on i bolted the clamshells to the frame mounts an proceeded with test fit #1
016.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

everything looked really good after a little bit of wiggling an twistin so i tacked them on an pulled out

put some nice tacks on them an bolted the tranny on to see if my idea still worked
002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

012-1.jpg

everything looked good except for my oil pan still needed to be clearenced so when i pulled back out i did that. its nice havin your own tig welder:D
020-2.jpg

021.jpg

024.jpg

i smoothed out the outside so it looked more like factory. im very confident in my welds so i didnt put anything on the inside other than paint

my finished mounts
058.jpg

059.jpg

062.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

after they were bolted in i slapped the t-case in,wired the engine/tranny/tcase up an ran my harness inside the cab.
out with the old
009-1.jpg

008.jpg

012-2.jpg

013.jpg

engine wiring done
028-1.jpg

an now on to the mess inside
030.jpg

033.jpg

i decided to hook everything up an check for power an the mileage
everything good so far
035.jpg

got the new steering column redone an put in so i can start on the rest of the wiring an fire it up
091-1.jpg

092-1.jpg

096-1.jpg

the d-max skinny pedal plug fit right in to the the 6.5 throttle pedal an it works normal(control on full range of motion)

so then it was on to the moment of truth. to see if it ran. after about an hour of priming an crankin i could only get it to fire an shut right off. well come to find out the steering column wasnt fully grounded i left 2 nuts off it incase i had to pull it. after i tightened them up it fired up in like 2 seconds. im waitin on my cac to get here so i jus pieced charge tubes together to fire it up. everything sounded really good to me an nothing leaks or knocks after lettin it run for 20 mins:D:D:D
http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/DIRTYMAXlb7/?action=view&current=053-1.mp4

i got the dash put back in an im workin on gettin my windows an radio an stuff to work now. will update again tonight

First thing is I would say your gonna probably need a body lift to make the hood close unless your planning on a cowl hood. I used 3/16" plate and still had to grind some slots in the center to add clearance on the mounts to get the engine low enough to close the hood. And it still rubs. Judging from your steering linkage clearance, your sitting almost an inch higher in the front than mine is too. And secondly, you did remember to repin the throttle pedal plug as the 6.5 and DURAMAX are wired differently. It may work, but it will cause a ghost limp mode I believe. And you'll get used to using only half the throttle range as the 6.5 pedal uses twice as much voltage range as a DMAX pedal, so roughly 55% throttla application is 100% to the DMAX ECM.

yea cowl hood is in the plans an the throttle works jus like it did hooked up to the 6.5 1/2 pedal is halfway on the tach an to the floor is rev limiter an on the initial press of it it goes down not quite a half inch b4 it starts raisin the R's

Back