• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oblonged lug nut holes...

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
I aquired a rim and most of the holes are oblonged.

I think I read that these are hub centric instead of lugcentric ??

Any thoughts or just a big fat no-no?

the 16" rims on the 88-98 generation of dually trucks are hub centric. I guess as long as there is no cracks, It should be okay to use, but I personally would keep an eye out for a better one.

I think I'll toss it on and see if there is any movement back and forth. If it is tight I should be alright I would think. If it rocks back and forth even a small amount I would assume it would do this everytime I brake or accelerate and do unnecessary work on the lugs?

I would only use it on the rear, so it has 2 tires, and the heavy steel ring plate that goes on the outside of both tires held on with 8 nuts. Its not cracked at all, just looks old. I ground it down and primed it up.

Since I'm not getting any instant negative responses, Maybe I'll try it out.

I'll just leave the trim piece off and check torque often at first.

That is of course if it doesn't have any play when resting on the lugs.

I have seen the damage when duals depart with a trailer through the fender due to lug nuts breaking from overloading. The the brake drum hits and is ruined and you are in for a wild ride per my good friend who had this happen to him. I would not risk use of this rim, it may be that way from loose lugs in a prior use. It may loosen the lugs on hard breaking or a pot hole past the accepted standard 100 mile re-torque guideline.

Oblong rims like the mag wheels machined to fit from the late 70's early 80's require special lug nuts, bolts and/or washers.

Back