• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OBDII

Thanks qwomack

Quint,

This is my first time posting on TTS. I have posted on the other board a few times.

I wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge of CarCode. I got the software and plug from them and it works. I wouldn't have done so or been able to set the TDCO without your write up. So a big thank you for sharing that. the dealer wanted $200 and a local wanted $175. So I figure I am ahead of the game now and have a tool that I will undoubtedly need in the future. I bought the TriCAN plug so I can work on other cars including my wife's Saturn.

If you have time to respond. Do you think a TDCO of -1.32 is okay? I don't have any performance mods, so I don't see the point in me trying to get to the magical -1.94.

Thanks,

rpm

RPM, you are welcome. As Leo said, you should be fine with -1.32. If you are "OCD" like me, you may want to play with it and see if you can get the magical -1.94 setting. It's almost like a "rights of passage" to owning a 6.5; kind of like having a PMD going out on you.

Welcome to TTS as well.

I say leave well enough alone its good improvement from factory specs as noted above. If you ever are in that deep where giving the IP a 1/16th of turn to drivers side is easy, then I'd say do it.

I'm at -1.38 and said good enough. Well, actually I broke 540s10's wrench he made for the IP, then said good enough :)

Actually, I think its -1.32. I don't think I could ever get the -1.38 to hit a 2nd time.

As always, great info and instructions Quint!.......And like I've always said in the past, Love that rig...You ever gonna tint those 2 front windows?

Thanks for the compliment, Louis. As far as tinting the windows, I have never thought of it. I may have to consider it.

Quint,
Is that all one needs to order is the cable, does it come the "interface" to go from ODBII to serial or USB?

The software looks very interesting.

Thanks

Corolla, the software is free. In order for it to function, you need to buy the cable. The cable provides the interface from OBDII to serial. If you don't have a serial port on your laptop, they offer a USB to serial interface for an additional $12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bachand View Post
Have you ever found a forum or FAQ or anything of good interest to read about this software?

No I have not. Maybe that is something we could pick the gauntlet up on. Right now Turbine Doc has my cable for comparison purposes. I am hoping he could shed some light on the mysteries of Car Code as he has experience with other Diagnostic Scanners like the TechII and the Snap-On MT2500. We'll see what pans out.

If you search over at the other place, JASONSMACK has several comments/threads about the software, including some of the advanced features of the program. The website link is listed in a lot of the threads about it as well.

Hope that helps,
Sir Veyor

If you search over at the other place, JASONSMACK has several comments/threads about the software, including some of the advanced features of the program. The website link is listed in a lot of the threads about it as well.

Hope that helps,
Sir Veyor

Odd "Timing" on this post! :)

I JUST walked in the door from playing with my CarCode , and I ACCIDENTLY GOT -1.94!!!!!

Its so user friendly, I forgot how to use it after not touching it for a few months, and wanted to clear my codes (overboost) and double check my TDCO, but I forgot how it works, and I changed the TDCO before I even viewed it.

Upon viewing it again it was -.88... cycled it a few times, achieved -1.14 and started playing around.

Here is what I did, not sure of exact orders.

Went to TIMESET I was scared to touch this last time around, but not today. Enabled it. I could hear the engine change its tune a tad, but nothing ever really happened that I noticed, No TDCO change.

I went back to the TDCO area and cycled it once more and the engine went back to normal sounding, TDC was -1.24. I was at -1.38 or so before, so I was close to settling.

I then held throttle down and cycled TDCO a few times, often times it went back to -.88 .. I then let the RPM'S RESUME idle from around 2000. I then cycled the TDCO again, and to my utmost shock and surprise, THERE WAS -1.94!!!!

I quickly turned truck off in a mad panic! I had to look around to see if someone saw me, I felt like I stole something!

Unhooked everything, closed carcode. THen hooked it back up fired up the truck, and it kept -1.94!!!

I NEVER moved my IP ever. I was going too, but the wrench broke before I got any of them loose (thankfully).

Weird stuff....

Odd "Timing" on this post! :)

I JUST walked in the door from playing with my CarCode , and I ACCIDENTLY GOT -1.94!!!!!

Its so user friendly, I forgot how to use it after not touching it for a few months, and wanted to clear my codes (overboost) and double check my TDCO, but I forgot how it works, and I changed the TDCO before I even viewed it.

Upon viewing it again it was -.88... cycled it a few times, achieved -1.14 and started playing around.

Here is what I did, not sure of exact orders.

Went to TIMESET I was scared to touch this last time around, but not today. Enabled it. I could hear the engine change its tune a tad, but nothing ever really happened that I noticed, No TDCO change.

I went back to the TDCO area and cycled it once more and the engine went back to normal sounding, TDC was -1.24. I was at -1.38 or so before, so I was close to settling.

I then held throttle down and cycled TDCO a few times, often times it went back to -.88 .. I then let the RPM'S RESUME idle from around 2000. I then cycled the TDCO again, and to my utmost shock and surprise, THERE WAS -1.94!!!!

I quickly turned truck off in a mad panic! I had to look around to see if someone saw me, I felt like I stole something!

Unhooked everything, closed carcode. THen hooked it back up fired up the truck, and it kept -1.94!!!

I NEVER moved my IP ever. I was going too, but the wrench broke before I got any of them loose (thankfully).

Weird stuff....

Feels so good that it almost feels like a crime, doesn't it Matt. ):h

Good job. Welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

Feels so good that it almost feels like a crime, doesn't it Matt. ):h

Good job. Welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

It sure does. Just to clarify, before winter I spent hours with this software. The highest I could get it to was -1.38. I attempted to move the pump because I thought it was unreachable without moving it, but broke a wrench so I settled in at -1.38 thinking pump HAD to move to get -1.94.

When I upgrade my PCM to KOJO Tune I will lose this?

The setting is stored in the PCM, so yes, you will have to do the TDCO again. But now that you have done it, you know it's possible and you even know the tricks now.

The setting is stored in the PCM, so yes, you will have to do the TDCO again. But now that you have done it, you know it's possible and you even know the tricks now.

Why can't they do that when the flash the PCM at KOJO Factory? Is that possible?

Maybe I missed it, but why is 1.94 so important?

I'm still pretty new to diesels, so go easy on me.):h

Not 1.94 but -1.94 (negative). That is the most timing you can get on a 6.5 without tripping codes on the PCM. Welcome aboard as well.

Back