• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

O-Ring 6.5 Block / Heads

emmott

Reaction score
Question - have you gotten o-rings installed on a 6.5?
  • What has your experience with them been? Good, bad?
  • Did you groove the block or the heads?
  • What wire material did you use, copper or steel?
  • What gasket did you use - Mahle, Fel-pro, Cometic? 0.010" thicker, or stock?
  • What were the dimensions you went with (protrusion, thickness of the wire, diameter of the wire, etc.)?
  • Did you have any issues rebuilding or resurfacing block/heads that were previously o-ring'd?
I'm interested in getting copper o-rings grooved in to the heads and use Mahle +0.010" gaskets for my next rebuild. I haven't found much 6.5 specific info and would appreciate any comments / insight on this.

For readers unaware of what o-rings are, here is a DIY video. Personally I'd leave it to a machinist, but the video is insightful.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be able to use the isky tool on the heads but it might be the better way. Also haven't heard of the compression rings in the head gaskets are wide enough and uniform enough to accept the ring

My machine shop does it a lot, but most are big bore race motors. And they do it on a mill, not the manual tool and the heads and block get a grove and they use solid rings not wire, copper or mls gaskets ...

Our heads can't be ringed due to the cups, the block can and a few have done it, what their results were I don't know.

I don't know how much or if it's needed in our case, A fresh block & head machining for MLS/MLX gaskets is close to as good as it can get.

In the tractor pulling world, it is not uncommon to ring the block and run without head gaskets. Might not be possible with the cups. Is it necessary on a 6.5? At some point it will be for those pushing way past tty bolt clamping strength (Twisted Steel, Littleboy, CDD, and the young fella out in CO).

Back