• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 won't shift when running

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I had no problems this morning driving to work, and no obvious signs otherwise of anything going bad. I can't shift into anything but reverse when the truck is running (I have to practically force it to), but when the motor isn't running it slides into each gear with no problems. What the heck is going on??

just called my buddy up and i took another test. Put it into 1st before I started the truck, started the truck, and slowly lifted off the brake (but left clutch on floor), and the truck started rolling forward (up slight incline).

going to change integral clutch slave cylinder and clutch on friday, and power shift on the drive home (I've done it after getting started...so this oughta be interesting. :( ) Planning on getting integral cylinder and clutch from autozone, unless there are MAJOR issues...cause I need these parts by Friday.

Sure sounds like the slave cyl is shot to me. As you said Forest, might as well do the clutch while you're at it. IIRC, there was a thread in the last couple of days arond here that discussed bleeding it so there ya go.

This is what I've ordered:

BRUTE POWER / PERFECTION CLUTCH90196Clutch Kit$ 223.79$ 0.001$ 223.79
BRUTE POWER / PERFECTION CLUTCH360058Clutch Slave Cylinder$ 79.79$ 0.001$ 79.79
(from rockauto - and i tried using the 3 different discount codes, but none would work)

(side note - driving company's F150 with a 5 sp (6 cyl) and 1st and 2nd are a bear to get into, so I'm suspecting it needs clutch work. They already knew this was a problem, but we're scraping by, so hopefully it'll last the week)

Could be the pilot bearing (bushing) too. Very common to "drag".

DEFINATELY replace it while you're in there. I've actually used bronze ones before on badly worn input shafts. When the pilot bearing goes though, the truck will no longer shift and the clutch will drag.

Back