• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

nv4500 vibration damper

cub124

Half Moon Detroit #1
Reaction score
Hey everyone it has been awhile since I have gotten on here anyways I'm in the middle of swapping my 4 speed out for the nv4500 and had to fix the 5th gear nut as it was loose. I used the set screw style with red loctite. As I looked through the papers I got with the new solid flywheel and clutch it said I must have the vibration damper on the tail shaft which mine never had one and I don't understand why or if it is important? some input would be nice as I am not looking to drop 300 for the damper 125 for the new socket and 25 for a different nut.
The nv4500s on dodge don't have a damper do they?

Look for a different clutch? If the paperwork says it is needed their engineering and warranty department made them say so. Metal fatigue and failure from vibration does funny things.

I think all GM diesel/nv4500 solid flywheel clutches call for the damper. From one thing I read on quad 4x4 they said dodge had a lot of trouble with 5th gear because they didn't use a damper and I think dodge used a solid flywheel. I could switch to a dual mass flywheel/clutch but I'm not sure if I want to. 5th gear should be held on good now.

Back