• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 to 4l80E

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Due to recent medical happenings I may be swapping my dually back to a auto tranny.

I'm almost sure all the wiring is still on the truck, I do have a new TPS and vss, it was a auto from the factory and the po swapped it over. I will need to find the linkage stuff as I don't have that...

I'm going to talk with a local tranny builder about a built unit for towing.

So at some point I will have a nearly new nv4500 and southbend clutch and all the petals stuff for sale...

Next is finding help for the swap LOL....

What year is your truck Chris? if it's the newer 90's body, I think the 4L80 used a cable from the column instead of linkage, so you might not have to search for linkage. I'm sure your running a DB2 setup too, if you still have the TCM under the dash, as long as it's still working you might be golden for swapping in the auto trans.

easy way to tell is looking at where the column comes out of the firewall under the hood. if it's just a rubber boot with the steering shaft heading down to the gear box, they'll be a cable up under the dash. If the shift lever is gone, it'll just be a matter of putting that back. you can snag up on one of those from most any pick a part yard. I bet the cable is still there and the trans end is just dangling under the truck ready to be connected.

I do know one thing.... once you swap back to the auto, you'll be out driving and be kicking the floorboard and reaching for the floor shifter every time you make a stop or take off from a light!! LOL

I;m getting out in the shop tomorrow morning to get some work done on builds before it gets hot, then I'll try and get under the truck and see what is missing, I don't remember a cable being there and the column leaver is gone but I do know the wire harness was just unplugged and tied up so maybe not too much to source...

@SnowDrift do you know what year this trans came from? I remember Ferm saying something about the 94 and eariler having a valve inside designed to back flush something where the newer ones changed. I can't remember exactly how he described it, but there was something that could be changed in them to make them work (newer to older and vice versa) Maybe @THEFERMANATOR can tell us more and refresh my memory . Tell us what can and cant work for Chris's truck.

I would not mess with the 4l80 transmission. Not with this available.

I would not mess with the 4l80 transmission. Not with this available.

Check out how hard it is to program with a db2 and see if you still think that, then theirs the tunnel mods needed.... I think the 4l80 will be just fine for me.

@SnowDrift do you know what year this trans came from? I remember Ferm saying something about the 94 and eariler having a valve inside designed to back flush something where the newer ones changed. I can't remember exactly how he described it, but there was something that could be changed in them to make them work (newer to older and vice versa) Maybe @THEFERMANATOR can tell us more and refresh my memory . Tell us what can and cant work for Chris's truck.
2004 HMMWV. 2011 block

I would think if that HMMVW engine had a DB2 on it with that trans, the trans should work just fine in Chris's truck. it shouldn't be any different.

Back