• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 Swap to a CUCV..Starter problems....Everything else good.

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Well thanks to a friend in NY I have a nice NV4500 setup from a 93 with everything to put in my 86 K30/M1008. I hope it compliments the 4.56s gears and 35 inch tires. I will try to document as much of the swap as possible. After this then I am going to swap out the v belt system for Serp and install a Turbo(GM4). I hope to have it ready for the Mud races in Ellington Sept 17.
Here's the tranny I did 6 hrs of driving to get it and worth every bit of it. I plan on using the k30 Master with the 93k3500 Slave and line and either flare union it or use a compression fitting. Everything else looks pretty good. The flywheel I got is perfection made in china. I'm always leary of Chinese made garbage but the PO didn't have any issue with it so I'll give it a whirl.

I have a hard time getting new flywheel bolts. The PO gave me the ones with the tranny but the head on one of them was a little beat up and I'm not a fan of reusing flywheel bolts anyway but GM discontinued them and Advance can't get them either. I ended up buying 7/16-20x 1inch ARP's from Summit but they are about 1/16 of an inch longer than the ones I got with the truck so I won't know if they will work until I have the truck apart to see the depth of the holes on the crank.Later investigation turns up that the Centerforce Clutch won't clear the ARP's.

So I ripped the TC out and........drum roll please............
IT FITS !!!! Like a finger in an *******...
So That was the big unknown so the project moves forward...He gave me a brand new centerforce clutch with it but the weird thing is the bolts are really shallow and I tried using ARP bolts and they hit the hub in the clutch disc so maybe those flywheel bolts came with the clutch ?? I laid a factory clutch disc on the flywheel with the arps and no issue at all with clearance...I gotta call the PO and ask him if those bolts were special.

OK so day one went pretty well. The shifter looked awful close to the 4wd shifter and I thought I was going to have to move the 4wd shifter but it fit. I may have to get creative with the shifter boots.. I welded up the holes in the crossmember with 3/16 flat stock and re drilled the holes to line up with the energy suspension tranny mount although it looks different than a factory 93 mount. The transfer case bolted right up perfect to the tranny and the linkage for the 4wd shift is going to work fine...plus big bonus..as far as I can tell initial measurements show that the driveshafts will work without cutting or lengthening. The NV4500 seems to be the exact same length as the TH400. Everything was going good and pretty much bolt in until I put the transfer case in. Small engineering defect. The flange for the front shaft is too low. Basically the tranny is sitting too low on the crossmember. some 2x2 box tube will fix that easily tommorow and then the pedals and master slave go in. The PO of the tranny must have used an updated cover as it has the 4 bolt shift tower. The shifter almost works the way it is. It hits the seat in 2,4,and R but does go all the way in so some minor bending of the shifter should do the trick. It actually feels quite comfortable where it is.
Oh I had to make the drain tube for the engine valley. It is no longer available. I welded a mounting tab to it.
I used the 6.5TD flywheel. It bolted right on with no apparent issue. BTW Got Bill Heath on the phone and the pilot bushing goes flush with the hole it's in. There should be a cavity behind it.

F!!! The engine won't turn over.. Locked up solid..
I was about to rip the tranny back out in a pissed off rage and Dave got me to calm down and look a little harder.....Guess you can't use a direct drive starter with a 6.5TD flywheel....I hope the flywheel to crank bolts are properly torqued...Now I wonder if i should rip the tranny back out and check...

Well I took it for a spin and let me tell you...THIS IS THE WAY GM SHOULD HAVE MADE IT!!! It drives awesome. I have not decided whether to pull the tranny again or not. it seems ok but 3 bolts could be loose. I'll have to keep looking at it. No vibrations. I ground the piss outta the starter but It should be replaced with a GR. I'll have to call the starter shop Tuesday and see if there is a GR 24v. Anyone know if the DD and GR use the same sol ? I have a spare GR but it's 12v.
Here's more pics. Dave was right, the truck has the dimples where the slave goes. That ,makes life alot easier. The clutch pedal setup had two extra studs I had to knock out. Probably came from a gasser with vac booster. I didn't bother trying to hook up the Neutral safety but I do need to wire up backup lights. Also with the tranny mount fixed the shifter no longer hits the seat It's perrect the way it is. No bending needed. I can't figure out if the shifter knob comes off though. I hate the knob and want a Hurst T handle. It looks molded to the shifter handle. I do remember one side of the flywheel tightening easier than the other and thinking it was cocked on the crank but I also double checked to make sure it was seated evenly and the edge of the crank so I am hoping it pushed the starter. I don't think I could have bent the flywheel so easily.

Pics from Day 1

Attachments

• DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 8
OK, from what I can tell, it does not have a Neutral safety switch. I yanked the tranny back out Friday. I just wasn't comfortable that the flywheel bolts were torqued properly after knowing the fklywheel was hitting the starter. I'll post pics when I can but as I suspected the bolts were not "loose" but not torqued to 66 ftlbs either. I also forgot to snot the drip tube from the valley. So I pull the bellhousing off and it's full of oil. The oil pan is leaking badly. It's rusted besides so I yank the pan, clean it up and paint it . New gasket. 8hrs flat to do the tranny R&R with oil pan job. Not too bad. I have piece of mind now. I also extended all the breather hoses for the TC,Tranny up into the engine bay so they won't get water in them next weekend when I enter the mudbog with it. I also replaced the starter support bracket that was not hooked up. Also I tried a 12v GR starter for fitment and it hit the flywheel as well so Manuals must be different . I see nothing wrong with using the starter the truck had now that I ground out the nose cone. I don't believe the integrity is compromised.

Now my problem is I can't tell why I am having Starter fitment problems. Is it because the 6.5td Flywheel somehow sits closer to the motor than a 6.2 flywheel ?? NAPA shows MT and AT having two different starters but Advance Auto does not ?? I don't want to rip this friggin tranny out again. My gut feeling was to buy a new flywheel for a 6.2 but alot of people said the 6.5 should work fine...I am beginning to doubt that I may have the guys at Advance order both flywheels and then I can measure. ****, I don't wanna rip this tranny out a third time but I am in undiscovered territory here. Did I mention how awesome it drives otherwise ??
Here are the pics from Day 2

Attachments

• brake pedal.jpg
    brake pedal.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 11
Here are the pics of the starter hitting. This is the 24v CUCV DD starter. It locked the motor up solid. I could not even turn it with a breaker bar.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
Here's the pics of the oil pan and the 24vDD after I ground it out and also the spare GR I had. Motor was spotless inside. Cyls still looked like new with the crosshatch. No cracks visible on the main webbing.
Did I mention what **** the clutch was the bleed ? I had the same issue with my 93..WTF ?

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 10
  • crossmember.jpg
    crossmember.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 8
I'm sure I read there is a difference in flywheels for the 6.2 and 6.5. I think it was the tooth count.

It cranks over fine, the starters from a 6.2 and 6.5 have the same part # so I don't see how that is possible. The GR starter I tried to bolt up is from a 6.5 and the flywheel is from a 6.5 so that only leaves two possiblities. either teh starters are different from MT to AT or the 6.5 flywheel sit's closer to the motor on a 6.2, in other words the distance from edge of mounting flange to block must be differnt. I hope its not that...:suicide:

I think the only thing left to do is order both flywheels and put them side by side. I am gonna be pissed if I gotta pull that flywheel again. My gut had told me to use a 6.2 flywheel but the 6.5 one was brand new.

I know this is gonna come down to ordering both and laying them side by side unless the flywheel was mismade but I doubt that as it was in another guys truck working. I'm going to try and buy the starter he had is it's good . If it doesn't fit then I will know.

I am more sure now it is the f'in flywheel. ****!! One is the 6.2 the other is the 6.5...The F'in flange looks different to me. Damn it. Always trust your gut.....Then again, the pic ,might be deceiving. The 6.5 motor has the RMS pulled in this pic so it looks like it sticks out further...I'll know tomorrow when I order both flywheels.

Attachments

• rearmain.jpg
    rearmain.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 8
..........Did I mention what **** the clutch was the bleed ?...........
when i bled clutch in the 82, it was a 2 man job. i struggled too long before i realized that. can be done by self but needs a bleeder tool.
i think the starters are the diff. seems the nose cones were the diffs.

Couple things. That shift knob is pressed onto the shifter, and there are no threads on the shaft. Honestly, I'd be willing to bet the trans was replaced once before and that is actually a 95+ NV4500, since it does have the later top cover. You can figure that out later though, either way it's still a great trans.

As far as the starter issue... In my 88 I used a stock GM flywheel and my a/t starter. I had to shim my starter out to use it with the NV4500 (something I've never had to do when it was an auto). For my truck there was a listing for a/t and m/t starters as well, but not at every store. There is a small difference, such being the side of the opening around the starter gear in the nose of it. The m/t trucks used a larger opening for whatever reason, and the parts that carry only one starter likely carry the m/t starter as it works with an a/t as well. I'm still using my a/t starter since it only took a few shims to make everything work properly. I'm not sure if a new m/t starter will solve your problems or not.

Thanks, I think this is going to boil down to putting the two brand new flywheels side by side and measuring. I will know for sure Wed.

The starter is the issue.

The stick shift uses a different starter. The aftermarket starters are all designed to work with a stick shift and will work with Both.

The flywheels are compatible all across the 6.2/6.5 line. All years all engines.
Again the stick shift starter will work with anything, the auto trans starter will work only with autos.

Its the nose cone that's different.

Missy

That makes sense as the powermaster doesn't have a nose cone.

The starter is the issue.

The stick shift uses a different starter. The aftermarket starters are all designed to work with a stick shift and will work with Both.

The flywheels are compatible all across the 6.2/6.5 line. All years all engines.
Again the stick shift starter will work with anything, the auto trans starter will work only with autos.

Its the nose cone that's different.

Missy
I tried a GR one with the big opening and it did not fit but it was a used one form the Junky. Maybe I'll grab one from Autoparts and see. I sure hope so. I ain't no spring chicken and 3 is not a charm for pulling tranny's...:suicide:

Just because it s GR does not mean that it will work on a stick shift. There are far more autos out there than sticks.

The issue is not the flywheel, they are basically all the same as far as the dimensions go.

The cranks from the 6.2 to the 6.5 are the same assembled length. The early cranks just have the flange on the back but, the overall stack is the same.
The balance weight is the same all the way too.

Get a stick shift starter and your good to go.

Missy

Back