• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Nv4500 going into 99 2 door Tahoe

99tahoe2Door

Reaction score
Hello,
First off I'm new to this forum.
I picked up a 96' Nv4500 out of a chevy 3500 truck. The trans is complete with the transfer case, yoke and PTO. For $500 bucks! I am planning to put it into my 99 2 door Tahoe manual shift transfer case. The Tahoe currently has a 4l60e in it. I know that I will need to have the ECM re flashed, Install master cylinder and pedal (provisions provided on the firewall) cut hole in floor board (provisions provided by GM), adapter u joints and wire up the neutral safety switch. I plan on eventually swapping out the cluster and column cover as well.
My question is what other wiring am i going to need to do? Nv4500.jpgNv45002.jpgTahoe Ocean.jpg
Thank you,
Kyle

You might trow a code (but it wont matter) for trans slipage. The auto has two sensors to compair in/output shaft speed and the stick only one. So the puter is going to think there is a problem.

Welcome to TTS.

hey, read your PM, figured I would message here, just in case I am wrong about something, then another member can correct me.

the transfer case will be whatever model that is listed on the round tag on the rear. like NP208, NP241, etc. as long as its a manual shift as well, I bet it will either bolt right up to the shifter, or require minor linkage modification.

the NV4500 may be a tight fit with the blue thing on the side (which by the way, what is that?) so I would go for a stock PTO cover, or an aftermarket cooler, since they arent nearly as deep as that blue thing. also, make sure and use the right oil. GM PN 12346190, the dodge equivalent (should be listed on side of tranny PTO cover, or any dodge dealer worth a crap should know) or Amsoil. I have just topped off with amsoil, and havent noticed a change, but 88gmctruck claimed that his truck didnt shift as well after a full amsoil change, so if you are very concerned, go with the dodge or GM oil, but if I was you, I would save some $, support our vendors, and order up some amsoil. it does in fact meet the specs, unlike all other synthetic gear oils, so I definitely have alot of faith in the Amsoil.

I have no clue, but to be safe, I would get the PCM flashed for a manual transmission. which by the way, it hasnt been mentioned yet (or I cant find it) what motor is in this tahoe, and is it stock? I assume by the 4L60E that it is a gasser?

if it is a gasser, I would say it wouldnt be a bad idea to spend a day off at a few junkyards finding a 99 truck with a NV4500 and 4wd, and getting the ECM. but, IDK if GVWR affects the equation, but it may, so maybe a custom reflash is your best bet.

good luck with the swap!

Gm Guy,
Thank you for your reply. The truck is a 99 Tahoe 2 door 4wd 5.7, I spoke with Black Bear Performance and PCM 4 Less over the weekend and both seemed to think that the Turning off the codes in the ECM would be no problem. Ill get a tune as well as the ECM mods. Here is a picture of the PTO. Can remove the PTO and just bolt a stock cover on it? Do i need to remove the PTO gear? PTO.jpg

All you need to do is remove the pto and replace with a factory cover or make one.

the PTO just catches a gear that is already in the transmission. like Leo said, just need to remove it, and seal the hole with a factory cover.

what do you plan on doing with the PTO? any idea what brand it is? also, how far are you from Rio Vista, CA?

Well the NV4500 is in and drives great! I still have a couple bugs to work out and wire up the clutch safety switch. Gm Guy, the PTO is a Muncie brand Part number RG6D-N7913-C1BX. I am about 3 hours north of Rio Vista in Redding.

Here's one more shot of the whole thing. I will tape it off and throw it in the glass bead machine as soon as possible to make it look new. The PTO is reversible and was being used for a winch. PTO 2.jpg
I looked it up and its about $1300 new. Are you interested? I'm sure that we would work out a price and a place to meet.

Back