• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

nv 4500 and np241c fluid

PhattDaddy94HD

Reaction score
I am replacing my trashed transfer case and when we pulled the fill plug on the old one we had a massive overflow of lube. After removal and disassembly we found the front bearings and seal we trashed, also planetary was worn. I found a used unit reasonable so I am putting it in this weekend. I had a trans guy look at the old case and he said that because the front bearing and seal were gone that trans lube got into the transfer case. I have been talking to some Dodge guys that say to run an extra quart of lube in the trans. So I have 2 questions. 1.Do the trans and transfer case use the same lube? 2.I read in the repair manual that the trans uses synthetic lube but I don't have the book here, so what lube is called out for both pieces and is it easily available thru local autoparts store? It's been awile since I've been on here but the truck has been doing well, until now. Transfer case was still operating quietly but lost 4wd. It also had a growl when taking off under load( I just wrote it off as alot of miles 273,000). All help is appreciated, Jeff

NV4500 should be syntorq by Castrol. Not retail in stores in quarts. Can order it a few places in gallons. You can get equivalent at Dodge or GM dealer. Some get by with other Synthetics but I like the Castrol or specific equivalents.

Not sure about your transfer case. My 97 New Process transfer case has ATF. But yours might be gear lube???

Back