• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Not Going to Lie...

I have gone back-and-forth in vehicles with 4 and 6 speed slushboxes.

Simply put, if you want to wake-up the Silverado and make it much more enjoyable to drive, consider looking into a 6 speed swap.

Sure, the 4 speed 4L80E / 4L85E has a reputation good durability, but it simply holds-back the motor.
The 60e is worse. My truck is on it's third one

The 4l60e can be a good trans, but there's things that need to be done to them, and you have to keep its limitations in mind.
The fact that the 60e needs to be "built" to handle daily driving duties behind a stock tbi 350 tells me it's not a good transmission. I don't exactly drive like a grandma but I also don't beat the piss out of it. Almost no towing, the few times I do, I tow in 3rd. I could possibly blame the last one on a shitty rebuild, though. It made it 14,xxx miles with a 12,xxx mile warranty. Go figure.

The fact that the 60e needs to be "built" to handle daily driving duties behind a stock tbi 350 tells me it's not a good transmission. I don't exactly drive like a grandma but I also don't beat the piss out of it. Almost no towing, the few times I do, I tow in 3rd. I could possibly blame the last one on a shitty rebuild, though. It made it 14,xxx miles with a 12,xxx mile warranty. Go figure.
I know of many that had 250K miles with no issues. The driver damages them the most by putting a trailer behind them and towing in 4th. 95 was a 1 year only and the 1st with pwm lockup, and in turn did suffer some issues that got corrected in 96. The sunshell is also a known problem. I would say lack of maintence is one of the biggest killers. Then people get them rebuilt, the shop just says the trans wore out, doesn't bother to find out WHY the 1st one failed, then the rebuild fails prematurely, and the owner is cussing it saying the 4l60e is a pos when in reality it was over working it or a crap repair that is to blame. There are upgrades that can be done to make them alot tougher, thats not saying they're bad in stock form, they just have limitations.

Back