• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Non engine question.........

Yachtcare

Recruit
Reaction score
Replaced steering gear, hydro boost unit, and ALL associated hoses over the weekend. Did not replace the PS pump.

Have a very annoying growling from the steering system. The kind you get when low on fluid. (Fluid is at proper level, and steering system was bled, and should be well bled after two days of driving, no leaks) Louder than I've ever heard before, and seems to reverberate thru the steering column. Sounds (and feels) like its coming right from the steering wheel itself, just behind the dash.

I searched the forum, and actually found I had a bad crankshaft pulley. Replaced that, but didnt solve the problem. All pulleys on the accessories are tight, and aligned, tensioner is fine. I did give the PS pump shaft a tug when I had the belt off, turns smooth, and doesnt move in and out, so I dont think the shaft is broken. New belt with the new pulley, no change.

Anything I'm overlooking? At this point I'm leaning toward a fault in the remanned hydro boost or the new steering gear itself. They've ordered in another steering gear, but would prefer not to R&R that again to find I still havent solved anything. So any ideas would be appreciated.

I should mention that there is good power assist to both brakes and steering, but the noise is unbearable.

When the steering gear was r&r'd, what was done with the old rag joint between the intermediate steering shaft and the steering gear box. The rubber disc acts as a vibration reducer and chances are it was worn. As they are somewhat difficult to get, it may have been bolted up or something in an oversight to get the job done.
I mention this as I have been putting off my steering gear r&r because I still haven't got the ragjoint part that I just know I'll need when I get into the job in the shop after work on a weeknight after an 11 hour shift.......

My PS pump made the whine noise until i replaced it. Tried fluid flush no change. New PUmp, no more noise. It came almost instantly, did not effect performance.

Back