• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Noise

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
On my wife's 00 Burb it has a growl in the front drivetrain some where. Discovered today that if the rig was totally warm (in the shop) when you take it out and drive it it doesn't make any noise at all. Any ideas?

Hardly ever drive it in 4whl so I don't think it's the actuator. It usually happens driving down the road and seems to get louder the faster you go. But it doesn't do it all the time. I checked the wheel bearings but nothing obvious.

Hardly ever drive it in 4whl so I don't think it's the actuator. It usually happens driving down the road and seems to get louder the faster you go. But it doesn't do it all the time. I checked the wheel bearings but nothing obvious.

Meh; may be nothing wrong at all. My 4x4 has had a bit of a growl since day 1. Could be a bad CV; mine's had a split boot and no grease (and been packed with dirt, mud, and water) for about 2 years and 50,000mi now with no adverse affects... yet.

Well it went away for awhile but now it's back and alot more obvious. It sounds alot like a tire rubbing in the fender well just not so loud. Also it does it worse when turning was doing it both directions but now just to the left. I'm going to check wheel bearings again tomorrow.

got er done old wheel bearing was really russted in there what a pain. About 75% of my time was dealing with that. Cleaned all the rust out with my dremel with a flap wheel and anit-siezed the heck out of it. Couple of things I noticed was it tightened up the steering, I could feel the cracks and such in the road better. Also I have a warped rotor and I noticed the pedal pulsing was greatly diminished. Had a high pitched whine that came and went my wife swore it was wind noise from the antenna but so far no more whine. Growling is definately gone now too.

update it didn't make the high pitched whine go away after all. I think it must be some harmonics from something in the engine bay.

Back