• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Noise from heater box

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have had an issue for a year or two now with something in my heater box. The issue has come and gone about 2-3 times and is back again.
When I start the truck something in the box makes a "flapping" sound. This sound will go on for 20-30 seconds and then stop. But if I hit the recirc button it will stop, but then start again a few seconds later. It does the exact same thing when you shut the truck off.
Its been doing this for 2 weeks now and is driving me nuts! Every time I start or stop the truck everyone around me looks at me like its a ticking time bomb.
You can hear it in the passenger cowl area too under the wiper as well as inside where it is the loudest.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the recirc door as when iI mess with the buttons it stops the noise momentarily. All heater functions work normally.
I am going to try and get a video of this tonight to help explain.
Thanks!

That is one thing I forgot to put in. The blower motor functions perfectly. So the flapping is independent from the motor. Will flap at any speed.

Also maybe sounds like plastic teeth slipping? If there is any in there.

Thank you sir! That is exactly what i think it is!

I just started the truck and it did the noise. So i looked under the dash with a flash light and found the recirc motor. Put my hand on it and could feel it binding! I could feel the vibration of the thumping in the case of it.I got home tonight and searched for the power supply for the unit. I got my chubby sausages in there and unplugged it for now. Started the truck and shut it off, no loud clicking/flapping. Temp fix till I can take it out tomorrow night.

get ready, it is not fun to pull out. You have to do it blind. Wish you luck and glad I was helpful. :thumbsup:

Back