• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

no start, slow crank

docdray

Oompa Loompa
Reaction score
yes, cannot find exact problem or solution with search. Here or other place.
Ran through checklist, here is pertinant summery:

In Houston, 5:30am, 80 degrees, exit hwy, light changes, come to quick stop. immediately truck dies. absolutely no trble up to this point. no start, truck cranks slow, like 3X load on starter and no cylinder fire. tried new pmd-same results. jump start-same result. towed home- charge and load test batteries-their good. rechecked cables-good. jumper cable to starter-same. grounds cleaned 4 months ago. no codes. normal glow plug cycle. fuel good to injectors.

so, everything ok, then quick stop-now starter cranks heavy and no indication of engine wants to run???? no strange noises either. what could cause a seeming increase in engine friction or lug down starter instantly?

in process of pulling starter to get checked, it still runs about 3/4 revolutions as normal. But problem is i stopped, engine died, now slow start and nohing. rings, bearings, anything a sudden stop might cause to kill a motor-I'm out of ideas besides pulling oil pan.

is 180 rpm on starter minimum??? I cant remember.

Wiring and grounds, wiring shorted as motor shifted under quick deceleration

starter------sort of. it was weak, but main problem was locked up aternator. good ol duracrap golds. replaced starter, was still sluggish, removed belt and cranked fine. just immaculate timing, I guess the sudden loss of load caused shaft to twist and lock up---whole back of alternator was melted plastic and bearing parts.

from now on I'm going to carry an 18mm socket and breaker bar for belt tensioner.

thanks for replies- and its running again!!!:grin:

See how well it works out when you get outta yer computer chair and go out and take look fer yerself? Gets you back on the road quicker and saves us a bunch of wild-assed guessing, to boot...............

starter------sort of. it was weak, but main problem was locked up aternator. good ol duracrap golds. replaced starter, was still sluggish, removed belt and cranked fine. just immaculate timing, I guess the sudden loss of load caused shaft to twist and lock up---whole back of alternator was melted plastic and bearing parts.

from now on I'm going to carry an 18mm socket and breaker bar for belt tensioner.

Hell, I can"t see a locked alternator keeping the engine from turning over with a new starter to boot. The belt would slip.

See how well it works out when you get outta yer computer chair and go out and take look fer yerself? Gets you back on the road quicker and saves us a bunch of wild-assed guessing, to boot...............

well, 6 hours going over everything with a voltmeter, waiting to be towed, then another 2 hours double checking grounds and fuel and batteries-doing a search for any possable cause, deciding on replacing starter, then seeing smoke off belt-I had a fix. I probably spent about 1.5 hours online-rest of time in the Houston and fort worth heat. I don't consider myself lazy, just stumped and needing a few guesses as to where to go. I apologize for what I posted, just in tight time constraints and can't afford to be down. I'll keep my problems to myself.

I do appreciate some of the pointers-thanks:smile5:

No apology required -your post is indicative of the trust and respect members have for the information base on this site - so much so, that it sometimes takes a gentle reminder that visual is a prime troubleshooting tool: tell us what you see, we can tell you what you got

And, understood on this south Texas heat - one reason I'm on here more often, recently - can't hardly get up outta this cool computer chair and head outside for some practical................

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has a spare 1/2 inch breaker bar with a brand new 18mm - purchased just to leave in my truck toolbox....along with a spare alternator, belt and fuel filter.:D

I was hoping mine was just old cables or grounds but no such luck. I have to go over to my mother in laws and replace my starter later today. Gotta love summer in Texas! But hey, at least I am not doing it in the rain!

I am in Katy, just west of Houston.
Starter is in and WOW what a difference. I just think about turning the key and the truck is running! I am just glad it died at my mother in laws a mile from here instead of last week when I was in Corpus Christi. That would have been majorly not fun.

it was amazing how slow the starter got! I worked in houston for about a year and familiar with katy. my favorite route is 35 to hwy 6 to 290- nice scenery and relaxing.
I didn't have the luxury of getting it to break down somewhere nice. It was in middle of intersection right at 45 and south 610. did you put in new bolts? I figured is was cheap insurance not to have one break

Didn't even think about the bolts! I probably should swap them out though. I got very lucky. I cant recall if I got the old starter or the engine first, but who ever put the two together last didn't bother to install the brace on the starter! And of course that was back in Maryland. Fortunately nothing broken. That would have been quite the conversation with the wife explaining how I need to buy a new engine block!

Back