• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No power 00 k3500

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
I have a 2000 k 3500. this morning I started it and was going to run in my garage quick and truck just died all electrical and everything quit. I checked and there is 12 volts at both batteries and 12 volts seems to be going to the under hood fuse panel because the studs at the back have power. Nothing will turn on, no dome lights, no headlights, and nothing when the ignition is turned. I'm a bit baffled.any ideas?

Could be a number of things.
Check that there is power to the ignition switch. Its located under the dash.
Also, check the fuses in the under the hood fuse box, there`s a bunch of them. Could also be a relay.
I cant imagine its something too serious.

One of the mechanics at work thought it could be the ignition switch as well but just seems odd that the dome light and all that stuff that works with the key off is not working as well

That's a sign of blown fuse or a burned out fusible link. I think the 2000s still have fusible links, unless they`ve been replaced with them big fuses in the under hood fuse box.
Takes a probe/test light to check them quick and easy. A volt/ohms meter will do it too.
Might also be some rotten connections at the battery or down on the starter where the electrical systems gets their power from.

Sounds like an Ignition switch. Our 99 went out a few weeks ago. My GF drove it home from work with no issues. I changed the oil on it that night and when I fired it up... the switch was bad. Its started but I didn't have power to half the fuses. Trans was in limp mode. I jumped fused power to the bad circuit on the switch and she drove it for a few days like that till I put the switch in it.

Well I found that the positive cable on driver side battery was ever so slightly lose, tightened that. Also found that the cable that goes to the under hood fuse block which also feeds the ignition switch and fuse block in the cab was lose and a little dirty cleaned them all up and put back together tight and no issues so far.

Back