• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No movement.

Mark Vieth

Reaction score
I have a 91 R2500 Suburban 4L80E transmission, I changed fluid and filter. The filter kit had a very soft pan gasket that was folded up to fit in the box. Steam cleaned the pan, cleaned the transmission seal surfaces, installed filter and gasket, TORQUED, filled and drove 12 miles. All is well. 10 minutes later fluid is draining out due to a bulged gasket. Purchase new gasket in flat box and install, fill with fluid, started vehicle, place in gear. NOTHING???

You mean the part about “started engine? The engine is doing very well. When the accelerator is depressed the body of the vehicle rolls from the torque.

No, we mean the part about checking the trans oil with the engine running! If you lost a lot of oil the pump sucks air and foams the torque converter. It's a real pain to get the level back up as it looks fine for a min then falls like a rock till the vehicle won't move. Again due to purging air out of the converter.

No, we mean the part about checking the trans oil with the engine running! If you lost a lot of oil the pump sucks air and foams the torque converter. It's a real pain to get the level back up as it looks fine for a min then falls like a rock till the vehicle won't move. Again due to purging air out of the converter.
War Wagon, the level is a little high when running. But I was thinking about loosing the purge/air pocket somewhere.

Shift to reverse, shift to drive and recheck oil level. Due to foam it can take hours to get the TC to purge the air. I would drive around the block and loose all gears after installing a trans that sat for 6 months. It took all day to get the oil level up. I made the mistake of changing the trans oil before starting it after sitting so long - thus the TC was drained quite a bit.

Check for codes just in case.

I was taught actually cycle all gears 1,2,3,D,N,R,P minimum of 3 times. Might be overkill but only takes a minute.

If you can’t get anything after all, might drop the pan and ensure the filter & it’s seal stayed in place.

I doubt this is your issue, but once I did a filter change and pinched the wire harness with the pan. Caused shifting issues, but had R and 2 all the time with occasional 1,3,OD.

Back