• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No Glows When Block Heater Plugged In??????

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue how to get the glowplugs to come on after the truck is plugged in all night? I am assuming that it senses warm coolant and thinks there is no need for glows. But its almost worse than if i dont plug it in at all. If i could bypass coolant senser until glow cycle is over, would that work? After getting the Heath reflash, the glow cycle works awesome! Except when plugged in. It usually gets to -10 to -20 at night (northern MN) so any help i can get is greatly appreciated!

Mine is also a 1995 (okay, with OEM chip), but the glows come on every start, equal if warm, cold, hot outside and engine temp. Only the time how long it glows changes.

They should come on.

Cu,
Sven

:iagree:

If that dont work to your liking, search here for the manual override for the glows and put in a switch so you can heat them without comp. I am planning on this with mine cause mine does not heat long enough when plugged in either. There is a right way and wrong way to manually heat the plugs, I know there have been people here that have done it so you should be able to find the "right" info.

How hot is your block heater(s) getting things?

Hey, DIY, is this on your '95 or your '96?

Either way, there are 2 pictorial "How-To's" in the 6.5 Technical Reference Library under Glow Plug Over-ride... they are excellent examples of the 'right way' to add more glow time.

That being said, I agree with Quint - I bet your ECT sensor is bad, because even with your block heater plugged in, you should get glow time. Pull the ECT sensor plug (located in your thermostat housing) right off next time you try it; the open circuit will tell your ECM that it's -40* out and give you the maximum glow time.

Let us know what you find - we've got lots of experience with cold-weather 6.5s on this site!

X2 on the ECT,, I always see glowtime,( and I'm pluged in all night, with overnights temps in the teens ) ,,when I turn the key,,, but I ad a 10 seconds with my override, and she starts like its 80F outside.

First off........ thanks for all the replies! Also this is on the 96 truck. As far as how warm things are getting im not to sure. It stays plugged in all night. And when i get to work it gets plugged in all day. It really never has a chance to cool off! The temp gauge is still all the way down, so it must not be that hot. In the morning i will try disconnecting ECT and see what happens.

Back