• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newbie from 29 palms, CA soon to be veteran going home to VA

NintendoKD

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 from a 95 1500, I pulled it with 115k on the clock, not understanding what I had gotten myself into. I am used to the AM general 6.5's that are in the HMMWV's. The thing ran before it was pulled, I heard it. I am doing a transplant into my 1975 chevy scottsdale longbed, with a th400 and a 12 bolt. I now realize that I need a db2-4911 after purchasing a ds4 pump, and wasting my money. I need some serious help so that I can get my truck on the road and travel across the country to VA and go home after 9 years in the Marines. I have been to lots of forums for the 6.5 and really haven't had much in terms of support, but lots of info. I need a torque converter, flexplate, engine gasket set "already cleaned the intake, it was nasty" and the injection pump, as well as a new harmonic balancer. Everything else should be good, and ready to drop in, I already have new bosch glows, water pump, t-stat, and belts, as well as performing an egr delete. I need a good, reliable, truck to pull my trailer home to VA, not to make a lead sled, just yet, maybe when I get settled. I'm hitting the classifieds just as soon as I'm done, maybe I can trade my running ds4, and pmd for something decent.

God Bless, Semper FI,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC

Welcome to The Truck Stop Kevin! :welcome2:
This VN Veteran says thank you for your service!:patriot:

You may have been to a few 6.5 forums but now you came to the RIGHT 6.5 forum.
The guys here will get you more than good in short order if you give them half a chance to.

I have a 6.5 from a 95 1500, I pulled it with 115k on the clock, not understanding what I had gotten myself into. I need a torque converter, flexplate, engine gasket set "already cleaned the intake, it was nasty" and the injection pump, as well as a new harmonic balancer.

God Bless, Semper FI,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC

Dayco converter is a good cheap way to get on the road Check at a local trans shop.
Flex plate @ AutoZone.
FelPro Gasket set @ AutoZone
Might be able to source a rebuilt IP I have an Injection shop I work with on a regular basis, let me know.
I can get a Fluid damper, but they are over $400 or google a stock one.

I really like my time at 29 Palms.
Welcome and Semper Fi.

I'm gonna need to buy a fan clutch too, I almost forgot, thinking of installing an electric fan setup JIC, as a backup.

Google the fan, Check Amazon. Don't think you'll need an electric fan especialy on a 75 just get the biggest radiator like a 4 core from a diesel or BBC app.

If I am reading this right you are talking about a engine driven fan and an electric fan? If so I have been there and tried that. Does not work as well as one might think it will.

400 bones??? thats steep, must be someone willing to let one go for less. Whats so special about em besides the bolt holes? I got the autozone stuff, the ip, torque converter are the harder to source, expensive things.

I have the rad. and res. I am planning to use the fan as a backup for cooling in the event of mech fan failure. I plan to mounting electric fans to the front and run the BDC motors reverse polarity to a switch, that way they push instead of pull. BDC motors are awesome BTW.

400 bones??? thats steep, must be someone willing to let one go for less. Whats so special about em besides the bolt holes? I got the autozone stuff, the ip, torque converter are the harder to source, expensive things.

They are expensive, but far from stock dampers, heres a link http://www.fluidampr.com/product/800191/
Summit sells for $454
http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=800191&dds=1
I can do alittle better, but its tuff for the small guys to compete with them.
Most of the auto parts dampers are made in China FWIW.

I'll check on Monday (if I remember that far ahead) on the IP. Torque converter should be $100ish obviously you can spend much more, but the Dayco is a good stock replacement.

cool, stock is fine with me, I don't have a lockup tranny so a lockup converter is entirely unnecessary. I may have a line on an am general IP and lines from a hmmwv. need a rebuild but that is the least of my worries. thanks yall

OK, I checked my IP shop does not have a db2 to rebuild at this time. They can rebuild yours (If you find one) for around $700-800 if your head and rotor are good. you get a 3 year warranty.

The Fluid damper I will be setting up a group buy again. Its the best way for me to get my costs down and pass it on to you guys. I'll start a thread about it.
Basicaly within the group buy I can sell one for $435ea. For both db2 and ds4 pumps.

Welcome to the Truck Stop...I hope you got everything completed for your crosss country trip....

Back