• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to this site! 1996 GMC 3500 2wd. 5sp manual.

Welcome. Please fill out signature line with truck details, it helps in conversation so folks don’t have to ask what we are working on. Including engine and any mods like aftermarket fuel pumps or the like.

Nice truck btw

A super clean 1996 GMC 3500 2 wheel drive, 5sp manual. I have owned since 2004. I am the 2nd owner. Has 230K miles I have had the transmission re-built at 210K after having a re-man installed. Injection pump replaced after factory recall at about 120K. I have recently upgraded the water pump and a 9 blade Duramax fan. (from LeRoy Diesel) Amazing the difference in the running temp. Re-located the PMD (also from LeRoy Diesel) to the front bumper after having a couple of intermittent stalls. Have completely re-built the front end, tough job. Now I understand why the high labor cost! Current issue is bad vibration from the gear shift/drive train. Have narrowed it down to a cracked bell housing. Waiting on the transmission shop to finish that repair, hoping it takes care of the issue. Anyone else have/had that problem? They tell me it is quite common.

Welcome. Please fill out signature line with truck details, it helps in conversation so folks don’t have to ask what we are working on. Including engine and any mods like aftermarket fuel pumps or the like.

Nice truck btw
Thanks !

Current issue is bad vibration from the gear shift/drive train. Have narrowed it down to a cracked bell housing. Waiting on the transmission shop to finish that repair, hoping it takes care of the issue. Anyone else have/had that problem? They tell me it is quite common.

Yes it is common, their is a conversion that will adapt a older iron bell, check out "Novak" they have good stuff..

You should check the mid shaft bearing, it will cause a vibration and it will add to the stress on the bell...

Honestly if you have it apart anyhow, change the carrier bearing. It's like 15-20 bucks. And the tranny seal where the shaft goes in . I think that's like 25 or 30. And the rubber mount was 10 I think..if it's already apart even if they weren't being a problem, just get it over with. 60 bucks to save future head aches..that bearing will shake the truck to hell when it goes. Mine completely descintegrated a couple weeks ago..that was a fun ride home.IMG_20201022_190407.jpg

Finally got my truck back, new bell housing made a massive difference! I think they forgot to put the insulation back in the shifting boot. Very loud engine noise, could there be/is there insulation there?

Finally got my truck back, new bell housing made a massive difference! I think they forgot to put the insulation back in the shifting boot. Very loud engine noise, could there be/is there insulation there?
Discovered that the inner insulation boot was torn into 3 pieces. Finally found the 1 of 2 in this country! A Chevy dealer in Arkansas. Hope to have back together in a week or so. amazing how much engine noise comes up through that boot.

Back