• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Product under consideration (Fuel Related.)

Veg_Out

Walking J Designs
Reaction score
Friends,

One of the goals of Walking J is to provide a platform for other inventor's to market their products using our website. I especially enjoy putting together a platform for sales for people I've done business with before. Example, Heath.

An inventor who has become my friend over the years is Christopher Goodwin. He is the fellow who founded the Frybrid VO conversion system. His designs are beautiful, and he has a new prototype that I wanted to check your interest in.

He has built a prefilter with an onboard warning sensors, warning system and valving that can warn the driver about a bad batch of fuel, and give the driver enough time to get it off the road and to a truckstop for filter change. I didn't know it before we'd started talking, but bad fuel is the number 1 culprit taking rigs off the road, generators offline etc.

Here is a linky, let me know what you think, and just like always, isn't it good to see some innovation?

http://walkingjdesigns.myshopify.com/products/fail-safe-fuel-filter

Thanks much,

Patrick

X2. It looks like a wonderful product and could really be useful for those taking there trucks on long range trips.

However, the price did shock me a little. That's about the price of a brand new FASS 150 unit.

So, when it senses the filter is full and drops out of the system, is there a secondary filter working? Do you leave your stock fuel filter in place?

I agree with Matt, way too high priced. I can drop a new fuel filter in for 20 bucks, takes 5 minutes, granted I'm not checking regularly for wif. I'd be more impressed if it removed water rather than just sensed it.

I can see a million dollar boat using something like this, just not a daily driver diesel truck.

I would guess it's way to much money for the 6.5 truck market. Keep up on filter changes and open the T valve once in a while and your set.
I have changed plugged filters on the side of the highway in the dead of winter 1 time, on my van though, but a spare filter is an easy solution which I am sure you all have.

I agree it's not for the 6.5 crowd. Where it really makes itself valuable, is on OTR rigs. The device becomes the primary fuel filter and catches the water and dirty fuel, until it becomes a restriction itself. Then, it triggers a warning in the cab, and bypasses itself, now using the standard fuel filter as primary filter. Now, the driver can reset the warning in the cab, and be sure to change the FS-1's filter at his or her next convenient stop.

Or, in the situation of a boat, can take a few moments, get secure, then change the filter and move on. The device prevents your standard filter from clogging and causing a no-run event. Even 1 tow for a big rig pays for the device.

Since our trucks already have a water in fuel sensor, a water separator and should be draining it regularly the single most awesome mod is a fuel pressure gauge, which will tell you when the filter is starting to get clogged or if the LP is not functioning. Many of the electric ones even have alarms you can set if it goes below the set point it will tell you. Some racors also have vacuum sensors to do the same thing, or you can install vacuum sensors fairly easy.

Like many people are finding, putting an additional pre lift pump filter in and removing the tank sock is also pretty good and cheap.

So yes this type of product is very useful, but there are other ways in which we achieve this that are less expensive. WIF sensors are expensive.

You could become the source the THE pre-lift pump filter, axe the sock, installation kit with base and filter, fittings, and hose, but it would have to be maybe $200 range. And it would need some nifty almost universal way to install it, like a custom bracket.

what would be really neat is a high sampling rate opacity sensor that would switch at a set low and high opacity to tell us if fuel is cloudy or dark or air bubbles. I have no idea how much that would cost.

Since our trucks already have a water in fuel sensor, a water separator and should be draining it regularly the single most awesome mod is a fuel pressure gauge, which will tell you when the filter is starting to get clogged or if the LP is not functioning. Many of the electric ones even have alarms you can set if it goes below the set point it will tell you. Some racors also have vacuum sensors to do the same thing, or you can install vacuum sensors fairly easy.

Like many people are finding, putting an additional pre lift pump filter in and removing the tank sock is also pretty good and cheap.

So yes this type of product is very useful, but there are other ways in which we achieve this that are less expensive. WIF sensors are expensive.

You could become the source the THE pre-lift pump filter, axe the sock, installation kit with base and filter, fittings, and hose, but it would have to be maybe $200 range. And it would need some nifty almost universal way to install it, like a custom bracket.

what would be really neat is a high sampling rate opacity sensor that would switch at a set low and high opacity to tell us if fuel is cloudy or dark or air bubbles. I have no idea how much that would cost.

I like Buddy's idea. I'm pulling the bed on Big Blue this weekend to rebuild the rear axle along with replace the sending unit and remove the sock to put in an external, high micron filter for this purpose. I'd be happy to work with you on this Pat :thumbsup: Although the product your advertising is, unfortunately, out of the price range of us el cheapo 6.5 guys):h, something like what buddy mentioned for around $200 would sell like hotcakes.

I agree. Reading about it on the site almost made it sound like it Switched to a reserve clean diesel to get home safe.

The idea is this. Normal operation you use the prefilter and the primary filter, however the prefilter (fs1) is at a finer micron rating than your primary, therefore your primary filter is getting only the cleanest possible fuel.

If some junky stuff rolls in, the fs1 collects it, and more junk comes in, the FS1 collects it, some water, the fs1 collects it. Now, the FS-1 is getting some restriction, so it triggers the warning to let the driver know to change the filter on the FS1. Now, the FS-1 bypasses itself, so that the primary fuel filter (still clean as a whistle) is now the only filter. Running like stock!

This gives the driver time to roll into the shop, the next town etc, rather than losing all power.

Am I making sense?

It does makes sense, although it says it bypasses on restriction or WIF, so if there is water in the fuel why bypass it, unless its not also a water separator. I would assume it would also be a water separator but it doesnt say that. If there is water I would want it to continue to separate as much as possible rather than bypass.

Our filter already separates water and tells us if the water is there so we can get off the road and drain it and maybe drain off a bottle of fuel to inspect. We are missing that fuel pressure gauge which is a great addition, and vacuum switches can be installed pretty easy, or come with other filter setups.

You could probably find a filter/water separator that has a mechanical bypass in it for restriction like oil filters have.

Now if you had a diesel without a WIF sensor this would be invaluable.

Always great to see innovation.

Neat product, but definitely out of range for us frugal 6.5-ers. I agree that having a fuel pressure gauge would be much more cost-effective and useful for us.

-Rob :)

Toss the idea over in the DMAX area....Or CUMMINS area... they seem to have deeper pockets, yet the monthly payment may keep em tapped out....

Toss the idea over in the DMAX area....Or CUMMINS area... they seem to have deeper pockets, yet the monthly payment may keep em tapped out....

i agree, duramax guys would prob love it as a bunch of them hate changing the factory filter and how finicky they are to anything but the GM filter.

Back