• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New old 1999 Silverado

Kevink

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a 1999 Silverado as replacement for my fire destroyed 2006 Ram 1500. I searched around for a used truck and realized the prices had skyrocketed beyond realistic. A friend had this 1999 Silverado and sold it to me for an acceptable price. The truck has 110,000 miles a 6 inch lift , 5.3L engine with a mild cam and headers. Unfortunately my friends taste in tires were unacceptable to my likes and I changed them for BF Goodrich AT tires. The ride is still a little hard but much better than the tractor tread tires my friend liked. I am not a mechanic but have some familiar with vehicles. As a youth I worked with a friends custom 4WD shop doing lift kits and tires. That was decades ago, late 70's. The lift kit on the Silverado is an entire superstructure raising the front. I have never seen this before. When I did them as a youth we changed springs and added blocks.
The back of the Silverado has 6-inch blocks and heavy springs. I want to quiet the bounce. I live in PA. and we have a lot of old backroads and pebbles, stones and potholes are prevalent. I want to add some sand bags in the bed, maybe 300 pounds as ride softener. I had done this with the former 1500 RAM and it worked great. Unfortunately I don't know what to do about the front. It has torsion bars and they seem to be cranked all the way up and I am hesitant to deal with them. Will they adjust back again and is there a technique I should be aware of? Appreciate any experienced ideas.
Kevink

Hello Kevin. Welcome to the forum.
I think there is different components available for lifting the fronts of these trucks but I aint gotta clue as to how to go about that.

You seem to be heavily involved in Diesel trucks. I don't have any experience in Diesel at all. I get the impression, by your message, that you have more than one truck. Are you a collector or a dealer or both? My 1999 Silverado was an inexpensive replacement for the Dodge I lost to an engine fire. My fixed income retirement requires careful spending and Diesel tends to be expensive. Actually these days around here all used vehicles, especially trucks, are overpriced. I saw many used trucks I would like to have bought but all were overpriced. 45 to 50 percent over value. I saw trucks with 100,000 miles on them selling for the same price they sold for when new. Around here (Northeast Pennsylvania) it is generally believed that screwed pricing is the fault of the current administration and his seemingly irresponsible radical attitude. Don't want to get into a political discussion, but I don't believe in the current administration and his party at all.
Thanks for the return.
Kevin

Nope, just one truck. I have a rough time affording components to keep this one rolling. 😹😹😹
One of the biggest things to big price increase of new and used trucks is the computer chip industry. Chips was made in commieChinesium and with the high tariff rates and china not shipping to the US, chips got in short order.
And rightfully so, the USA should have been producing their own chips and components all along then we would not have to rely on some POS foreign country for any of our components.

Good morning,
Until the price of vehicles comes back down to a reasonable figure I will continue with older needy trucks for my needs. The wife has a 2008 Pontiac Vibe with 198,000 miles and it still runs great. We use that for things we do together, and I use the truck as my get-around the county vehicle. Old chevy trucks are everywhere and affordable if you want to do the needed upgrades. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania is a" salt the winter roads state". Chevy trucks rust a lot. They all need repairs as a result of rust. Considering the weather here in PA 4WD helps a lot during the winter and Chevy 4WD works well.
Kewvin

Welcome Kevin.
Saving up some cash and a trip to Nevada or Arizona is a great thing for getting a rust rree truck. I live nextdoor to Vegas, I can leave bare steel sheet metal outside on the ground for 6 years, then when I want to use it just a quick touch with a da sander to take off the dust and surface rust. If left outside for 1 year- that will wile off with brake cleaner.
So keep that in mind if ya do truck shopping later.

Back