• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New member turbo confusion

Bostonguy

Reaction score
I own a small metal recycling company here in Boston. I use my dump truck for biz and as my personal vehicle. I'm not getting anything out of my stock turbo so the plan is replace. I've been doing a ton of research on the a team together with diamond eye exsaust and possibly kojo tune. My truck has 136k but no blow by or blue smoke. So question is, will the a team turbo make problems with the heads and or gaskets?

My hope is I can save fuel make more power without damaging my only vehicle.

any time you increase perf you raise the odds of having head gasket issues. a non waste gated turbo such as the ATT wil reduce those odds because of less back pressure. How much is anybodies guess... I didn't do my upgrades until about 160 - 180 k and I now have 260k miles on mine and no issues. I believe it is luck of the draw combined with how you drive.

The larger turbo will allow the engine to make power over 2200 RPM. The lack of power you feel in the upper RPM is the engine trying to push out exaust past the factory turbo. The A Team is an improvement for engine life.

Keep the tune mild to avoid issues. The head gaskets are good for around 200k. Keep this in mind if you pop them.

Several A-Team have been mounted here, some with Heath tune, other with Kojo tune.

All users are happy. They all report a noticeable increase in mileage and lower EGTs. Engine looks more healthy, and Dennis redesigned the compressor housing which makes the A-team spooling sooner, deleting the "lag" some user felt.
It seems Kojo "Tow tune" is working well with ATT, though it seems Dennis is working on a Home tune...

Just an update and question. I have the ATT on as well as the 4inch exsaust. Before the mods 6.5 had no blowby. Now I noticed its pushing a lot. The CDR is junk for sure. I decided not to re-burn the vapors and for now I just rotated the cdr pipe upwards so oil can't escape. I've seen excellent mpg increase and an overall better running truck. The att manufacturer said the increase in blowby is because the engine can breathe now without the kitty, turbo install, and the exsaust. Has anyone seen this happen after these mods??? There isn't any color smoke from the exsaust.

I have engines with 30K on them with blowby. Overheating will ruin rings. Mainly you need to clean up or deglaze the boars and drop in new rings. You decide when the blowby is bad enough. The CDR does not affect blowby, but it being routed to the intake can cut it down from the dipstick.

At idle the turbo is not a factor. Your intake temps went down and exaust back pressure went down with the ATT. So blowby should be less.

Possible you have a intake leak or got some derbis in the engine scratching a cylinder. We had blowby start suddenly after blowing the glow plugs in half. Also a cracked piston gave us puffs till it burned through.

If it isn't smoking at the dipstick you don't have a big issue. And even if it does well, I ingnore it on mine. My other one has zero blowby with gapless rings.

I haven't seen any blowby coming from the dipstick or from the filler tube. It's puffing just from the cdr. As I said I've felt no power loss. But going back to what was told to me by the manufacturer, the emissions being removed, more air being pumped into the engine seems, in theory, to be an explanation. When I was looking the truck over when i bought the truck I checked for blowby at the filler tube and dipstick. I wasn't a 6.5 guru. But with all the help from this site I'd still be in the dark. But I have to replace the cdr because it can't hold the oil in the valve cover. My experience has been that an engine can run with blow by for 100s of thousands of hours and miles. Until i lose power or it won't start ill keep changing the oil and going to work...thanks for your reply!!

changing the cdr probably won't change anything. If your air filter is getting dirty it will affect it more than the cdr because of the increased vacuum

Strange that was going to be my next post. Ever since the ATT the filter has been getting noticeply dirtier. I have the box that hooks to the fender well and has duct work running to the front.

Back