• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Member, Old Guy, Old Truck

rodyne

Reaction score
Introduction: Using my 300K+ mile 3500 6.5TD to pull my 11,000Lb, 36' goose-neck over the Appalachians (repeatedly) for racing purposes. Modifications are: Dual Thermostat system, High Flow Waterpump, 210 deg Fan Clutch, 9 Blade Fan, Relocation of Injector Power Module to front bumper and converted vacuum waste-gate control to mechanical.

Made most of these mods after experiencing turbo crossover pipe initiated oil fire when towing up Fancy Gap about 10 years ago.

Transmission problems are the most recent recent issues (4L80E). Speed Sensor failure being the last. Being that long, difficult tows are normal for my modus operandi, I'm always looking for solutions and recommendations.

Welcome.
Soon as you said Appalachians, we knew it was racing involved. Once towed a honda that way- $250 fine for it not being a race car. Haha

Tons here you can learn hopefully. Some for longer truck life, some for more ways just to spend money.
That many miles on the engine, my concerns would be harmonic balancer and injectors. Then ip (injection pump) life from lift pump fuel pressure and additives. But if it is original, then ya got your nickels worth.

Welcome to The Truck Stop! There are many discussion threads on your questions already but feel free to start a new one as we have lots of expertise here that'll likely help you. Again, Welcome!

Welcome to TTS..glad you found us...for the record we LOVE pics of trucks!! So show her off...if you've got 300k on her she's definitely earned her keep

Welcome.
Soon as you said Appalachians, we knew it was racing involved. Once towed a honda that way- $250 fine for it not being a race car. Haha

Tons here you can learn hopefully. Some for longer truck life, some for more ways just to spend money.
That many miles on the engine, my concerns would be harmonic balancer and injectors. Then ip (injection pump) life from lift pump fuel pressure and additives. But if it is original, then ya got your nickels worth.

Here, here, careful, what would ever convince you that good ole racing started in these here Appalachian Mountains...... ;)

You know it started with moonshiners hauling shine, but maybe it was something else, maybe these ole mountain boys wanted to test a vehicle to the limit, in the curves on the edge of the mountain. I never hauled any shine, but I burnt up some dirt country mountain roads. No wonder the drivers ed teacher told me when I was 15 years old that I drove those country dirt roads real well....:D

I learned to drive at our farm on dirt roads at an early age, it was legal, it was private property and I would slide one sideways now and then.....:D

Out west, we take racing seriously- like it like we do breathing.

But in your area when given the question of racing OR breathing oxygen- you guys think about it a minute. and a couple guys start timing holding their breath before answering.

210*F fan clutch seems a bit toasty. If not already done, do the beastie a favor and get an aftermarket coolant gauge to see what temperatures the coolant really hits. Hint: the dash coolant gauge is far from gospel.

Back