• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New IP

625fireman

I have injecter-itis
Reaction score
I would like you alls opinion on something. If you had to change your IP and it is the DB4 (electronic) would you put a DB4 back in our would you go with the manual DB2? The DB2s are cheaper that was sorta the big reason to change to it.:grouphug:

db2s not any cheaper from the prices I've seen. Getting everything to work looks to be a huge pain. The only way I would do it would be on a 94 and change the whole harness to a 93. I do like the fact that the mechanical pump is a much simpler set-up. Much less to go wrong,easy to turn up. The electronic pumps are more tuneable and can produce as much if not more power than a 2roller mech. pump. Personally I wouldn't tackel a conversion on a 95+ truck because of all the rewireing. The automatic transmission just adds to the possible headaches. Just not worth it to me.

Mine is 94. I have already changed the truck from stock. I have swapped out the 4l80e for a NV4500 with the 97 and up slave cylinder. So this change wont be big deal I dont think personally. As for the pricing the DB2s are about $200 cheaper for what I can find. I know the pedal would have to change along with adding the cable.

You would also have to add the cruise control from a 93 and I think that the gas and diesel version is the same so it shouldn't be to hard to add it if necessary. If the truck is'nt going to be used for long travel then cruise is not necessary. Just my .02

When mine went out in my 94, I kept the new style pump. just easier to me..

Something else to think about.....

Not sure on OBDI, but on OBDII, the gauges are driven by the PCM.

Not on ODBI.

If you have an NV4500 and convert to a DB2, the ECM only controls the glow plug cycle, which can be overcome using a manual GP controller.

In the case, the ECM becames useless.

Our guages our not driven by ECM, I get all sorts of different reading from the ECM and what my guages show.

OPS controls oil pressure, alternator controls tach, speedo I'm guessing comes from your tranny I dont know how the NV4500 does it.

I would like you alls opinion on something. If you had to change your IP and it is the DB4 (electronic) would you put a DB4 back in our would you go with the manual DB2? The DB2s are cheaper that was sorta the big reason to change to it.:grouphug:

Just to clear any further confusion - the DS4 is electronic, the DB2 is the civilian truck mechanical IP and the DB4 is the marine mechanical pump.....

EDIT - the number (2/4) refers to the number of plungers in the IP....

Just to clear any further confusion - the DS4 is electronic, the DB2 is the civilian truck mechanical IP and the DB4 is the marine mechanical pump.....

EDIT - the number (2/4) refers to the number of plungers in the IP....

Just to add back in some confusion, the DB4 is not the marine mechanical pump that chris listed (and is used on the 6.5TD Marine). The "DB4" type pumps were off road units.

The part number of the 4 roller High Output Marine (300+HP) pump is... db2831-5722 (and yes it IS a 4 roller...call a Stanadyne Pump Shop and give them the number)...

Regards,

Thanks for the clarification Goldy....

I always thought the DB4 referred to 4 plunger...and DB2 was 2 plunger....

Wrong for all these years.....

I wonder if swaping to the DB2 is worth the time and pain?
The DS4 works almost fine, as long as you get the PMD relocated far from engine bay heat---

I agree, keep up on grounds/pmd and no worries. Probably better mileage assuming by all the computer control?

Thanks for the clarification Goldy....

I always thought the DB4 referred to 4 plunger...and DB2 was 2 plunger....

Wrong for all these years.....

No, you weren't really wrong... you just found an exception to the rule.:smile5:

The explanation I was given was that originally, the 2 plunger pumps were intended for on-road applications and the 4 plunger pumps were for off road (high dust?) applications. To reliably achieve the injection rate and delivery volume needed for a 300+HP Marine pump, it required 4 rollers. To "avoid" confusion that pump was given a DB2 moniker. But this explanation could be just conjecture...:thinking:

Regards,

Back