• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Injectors

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
My dealer has agreed to sell me injectors at the same price that gmpartsdirect sells them for, so Friday I will let them install new injectors. I am so happy.:smile5:

Congratulations Tim, you have been wanting that done for awhile. Hope the dealer does a good job for you......

I bet!

People say when you get new injectors, it feel's like a whole new truck! Congrats.

This dealer has always done me good on the service end. They have already replaced one set at 157k miles and now another set at 288k miles. I still haven't figured on a way to pay for it yet but as always I leave that in the Lords hand.

Well the truck is in the shop, they let me use a Pontiac Vibe to go home in, of course I got the dreaded phone call from the company saying they needed a tech in Atlanta ASAP and I was the only one available. So I drove the Vibe to Atlanta and back and already do I miss my truck. However I spent $44.00 on gas for 485 miles verses $125.00 in fuel if I took the truck. But I would rather do the truick any day verses the Vibe.

Had to take the Vibe to Miami today....they are going to crap when they see about 1600 miles in 3 days....truck should be done tommorrow, I asked them to adjust the valves while they were in there.

Had to take the Vibe to Miami today....they are going to crap when they see about 1600 miles in 3 days....truck should be done tommorrow, I asked them to adjust the valves while they were in there.
):h Better than the miles on your truck!

Well I am ready to get my truck, this Vibe has taken its toll on me....That thing will beat you up after about 300 miles.

I have my truck....it is much quieter with new injectors. They also adjusted the valves so I am hoping that I will not have to deal with this anytime soon.....No more smoking at idle....whooohoooo

Glad you have it back and it's working great. :thumbsup:

I bet your mileage will go up..

Haha ya.

We did this to a local tractor dealer. One of our tractors was having issues and was in the shop for four months. They crapped their pans when we said we needed an oil filter for it because we need to change the oil. By the end of the summer we had put 650 hours on it.

You may hear some extra clatter, GM allows up to .0012 clearance. Mine were still under that but since it was almost at 300k miles and the 6.6 runs solid lifters I figured it might be a good thing. It quiet it down some. Sounds like a new motor.

There is a procedure and it adds acouple of hours during the injector replacement, btu I think it is money well worth spent.

They usually dont need adjusting but if you do need to adjust them and you are already in there for injectors it isnt much work.

Rotate the crank so that the number 1 cylinder is at TDC of the compression stroke. Line up the mark on the balancer with the mark on the front cover.

From here you can adjust the following valves by loosening the locknuts with a 14mm and then loosening the asjustment screws with a flathead.

1: Intake/Exhaust
3: Intake
5: Intake
7: Exhaust

2: Exhaust
4: None
6: Intake
8: Exhaust

Then rotate the crank one more revolution and adjust the rest. Remember the number one cylinder is the front one on the passenger side. I set them to 0.010", GM sets them to 0.012".

i know its not a dumb question, because i am asking, rather than guessing :D but what do you use to measure valve lash? is it something sears or some other big parts/tool store would sell? i dont trust that the dealer did em when they were in there and i asked them to. so when i get the money together and replace them, yet again, i want to do this as well. thanks guys!

Back