• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Injector Pump or sell the thing.

1629dill

Reaction score
Here is the problem. I have a 1999 6.5 suburban that has been blowing white smoke at startup. It runs like shit for about one minute then I sounds good. I have taken it to a diesel shop in the area and they have now been working on it for three week. First they were thinking it was a glow plug problem. They are OK and then it was showing a code that there was air in the system. Now they are telling me that it needs a new injector pump. ($1.700.00). Is there an intermediate step before I go and drop 1700 and a ne pump.

I am beginning to think that I put it in the garage and put a for sale sign on it and look for a used car for the wife to drive.

Any one have any good advice.

I would suspect air intrusion between the lift pump & the fuel filter manager (Air getting in when vehicle sitting ,& fuel pump displacing air with fuel after a minutes running) .
If your at the mercy of a repair shop & cant do your own work , a gasser for the wife might be a sensible alternative

Hiya - I agree, 99 Burbs are rare. Want to sell it, cheap?

Otherwise, rescue it from the diesel shop - they don't know how to work on a 6.5.

Print out the checklist in my signature, do the diagnostics yourself, and post the results back here.

(oh, by the way, fill out your signature so we can 'see' your burb ... how many miles on it?)

If it is sucking air and draining back, it will be very hard starting. Smoke on startup is likely leakdown from injectors (BAD problem), dead glowplugs or controller, or head gasket. Air in system will cause hard starting as well as OS problems; find it with a piece of clear tubing in the IP return.

If your IP was bad, you would have more problems than you have. And they wouldn't get better after a minute or two.

Careful, methodical diagnostics win every time...

iF YOU DECIDE TO SELL, i'M CLOSE BY. 90 miles south of Chitcago about 7 miles east of Rt 57

If you want to stop by, I can try to help with what little tools and knowledge I have.

Air entry at startup is often from leaking fuel heater or water in fuel sensor O-rings in the fuel filter manager.Easy fix-look for fuel in the engine valley as an indication of a leak there.

Constant air entry is usually from a pin hole or larger leak between the fuel level in the tank and the LP.

Welcome, you found a place to help get her running. Warning! 6.5's are habit forming so you may want to sell it to the addicts/vultures on here and get out while you still can! :hihi:

OK. I spent the money and had it fixed.
It is running much smoother.
Just waiting for it to get cold to see if it is really fixed.

The fix was a new injection pump.
Today it was 35F and it started like it was new. Just a small puff of white smoke but that was it.

Did they install a new PMD when they installed the injection pump?

It is also probable that they reconnected the fuel lines - they had to - at least on the Injection pump end.

New injection pumps with new PMD's have cured a lot of problems. More often then not a new injection pump wasn't the real culprit but he new PMD and the attention paid to the fuel lines on the install was the true fix>
Just saying

I had been having some problems the end of last winter put my spare pmd on and did a warranty clam. By the time I put the warranty replacement on the weather was warm and the problems had gone away.
But when they installed the new pump and used the pmd that came with it. The 6.5 is now running better than it has in years.

The PMD is remotely mounted and is still in the durb.
I have not tried it with the new pump.
I now have two spare pmds. One is the old style and one is the new style.

Back